Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

35" Winter Tires?

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Short Bus 
#1 ·
Well, my tires from sunny California nearly got me killed on some good old, icey and slick as sh*t North Dakotan interstate. I used to drift imports when I was a kid and honestly I've never been scared in a vehicle out of control until this morning lol I ordered some tires already but they got lost in transit and I need tires like 2 weeks ago when people were hinting it might start to snow. I plan on running 315/75/16s and need some help getting pointed in the right direction on which brand/model to run. Any pointers on driving in this sh*t helps too. I think I need to add at least 100lbs to my ass end. Please help fellers, I didn't make it to my site today and staying at home is driving me insane :O

#3 ·
Welcome to ND and the wonders of winter time driving!!!!!:eek:

I've lived my entire life in ND and over time you'll get used to the winter time driving, hell you may even learn to love it. There's nothing like blasting through 3-4ft snow drifts!!!!

Just remember to slow down and take your time till you adjust to the winter driving.:ford:

You may want to pick up some sand bags to throw in the bed for some added traction.

If it's icy 4wd is your friend, but remember that it may help you get moving and make the truck more stable but IT WILL NOT help you stop shorter. Leave plenty of room between you and the person in front of you.

What are you currently running?

My last set (I run 315/70/17's on my PSD) of tires were Nitto Terra Grapplers, and I'm now running BFG all terrains. The key to a tire that is good on ice is all about the amount of siping in the tread. More is better.

DuraTracs seem to have a ton of siping and should have good winter traction. Have yet to look at the Yo'mama's.

#4 ·
Awesome man thank you for the input! I was thinking about just throwing some 80lb sacks of quikcrete in the back lol I'm currently running some dying (45% tread) Goodyear Wrangler AT-S's 305/75/16. I threw the smaller tires on to get better gas mileage driving from CA to ND. I enjoy sliding around as much as the next guy dont get me wrong but what messed with me the most is the fact I had no control

None!! I guess what kept me from truly eating sum chit was that I was able to wrangle the pig somewhat. Ice is a whole 'nother ball game compared to my days with my RX7.

The DuraTrac's sure do and they seem like my best bet from the reviews I've been reading. What was your experience with the Nittos?

#5 ·
The Nitto's had great traction on snow and ice, and were priced right, but they only lasted about 20k miles on my truck. And no I didn't do many (hehe) burnouts with them. I think they're a pretty soft tire.

We'll see how the BFG's do, I've ran them on other trucks with good results.

#7 ·
while I have no experience with the tire, the goodyear duratracs seem to be one of the best tire in the north. I almost bought them but found little to no reviews for people living in the south. It seemed that every review started with "these tires do great in the snow".

Also something to think about is a winter wheel/tire combo. I was told this when living in Chicago that you want narrow tires on snow so it will cut through it. Wider tires will float on the snow.

On a side note get a recovery strap, etc. Not necessarily for yourself but for others. I used to drive around on big snow storms pulling people out and if we got a BIG storm (8"+) I would clear $500 easy from pulling people out. I never asked for anything but they always gave it because they knew that it was cheaper and faster having me do it then a tow truck.

#9 ·
Plan on filling with a 50/50 mix of #1 and 2 once the temps go below zero. Gelling up is no fun.

Skinny tires work, if you have enough grond clearance to reach the ground. I personally wouldn't go with any tire wider than what I have for winter use.

The white bottled Power Service or Howe's will help as well.

Another thing to consider (if you haven't done it yet) is do the high idle mod to keep the truck warm during extended idleing.

BE carefull pulling people out, it's very easy to damage new cars by pulling incorrectly.

#10 ·
BE carefull pulling people out, it's very easy to damage new cars by pulling incorrectly.
Very true. If the road was busy then I wouldn't even try it due to safety reasons. I dressed for the occasion so I had no problem crawling under and hooking to the frame. Also I would only have the driver put it in Neutral and just slow pull none of that yanking crap.

#17 ·
run the fierce m/t tires, they are similar to the duratrac's, made by the same company I beielve, just don't say goodyear or the side so price is lighter on the wallet. Outer lug is the same, but inside pattern is different but they are the same rubber compound. Going by a local distrbutor

#18 ·
x2 on the Goodyear production of the Fierce brand.

We run the Fierce M/t's at the mine that I work at and they seem to hold up pretty well with good traction to boot. Not sure on how they'd be on icy roads though. I bet they'd chew through the deep powder though!!!!

#19 ·
Mickey Thompson ATZ's 35 12.50's and i love them. Perfect for plowing and haven't gotten stuck yet. I took Toyo open country all terrains that were half tread off because they sucked so badly.

#20 ·
The duratrac and fierce both work great! I sell tons of them and no complaints. Duratracs are in short supply fight now but the fierce is easy to get. The fierce looks like it will be loud but it is really quiet.

#21 ·
Okay guys where the hell do I get a quote for those Fierces? lol I'm always down for saving a little money ;)

I think a local tire place stocks them or can get them but up here due to the oil boom tires are marked up to stupid levels. I just cant justify paying 900 for mounting and balancing lol If any of y'all can point me in the right direction of these Fierce tires I'd appreciate it!

#22 ·
Where are you located at?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.