Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

All Wheel Dually Conversion

4K views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  jsnyder7.3 
#1 ·
I recently got an 02 F350 srw long bed crew cab, looking at making it a tank of a truck. I wanted to do it on my previous 02, but didn't get the time. I've had the idea of doing this for a few years and decided to finally do it. I know it is possible and since I don't do any towing over 4 tons I'm not really concerned about shearing the hub studs.

I know the rear dually axle is 1.66" wider on each side than stock, what I'm wondering is if anyone thinks it is possible to put 4 2" wheel spacers, and bolt on 8 dually wheels. I'll worry about fender flares later. Really the only other thing I can think of is replacing the stock power steering gearbox with the redhead gearbox to compensate for the added strain of two extra tires.

Here is an example of a sema truck:

See less See more
#5 ·
How do the studs even reach the outer front wheels? If you did find a way to make it actually work you'd probably be changing wheel bearings every 2 months

#8 ·
I just have to throw this out there. I assume that everyone here is familiar with a ring and pinion gear and that even a locker allows on tire to turn faster than the other because of the radius' of turning (inside wheel has to turn slower than outside) There is no way you would ever drive something like that on the street you wouldn't be able to turn or go around corners at speed! The tires aren't able to turn at different speeds but yet one has about a foot larger radius..... just food for thought.

#18 ·
The steering system would not hold up. Death trap on the road.

#20 ·
Well the OP never replied lol

Problems

1. Johnny Law: The tires stick out in the front. A lot. Even a cop that owns a lifted truck with tires that stick out past the fenders would light you up. And depending on where you're at the truck might be deemed a danger on the open road, red tagged, and have your registration suspended until you prove the truck is safe once again.

2. Your mo' spacers idea: I've had spacers sheer off on me on my drift car and its not fun when a wheel rips off while your car is going. You need to properly address the differential lengths.

3. The gearbox: Its going to die within months

4. Simply driving it: You're going to need custom fiberglass fenders to make a turn in any direction.

Ultimately its your truck and money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.