Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Innovative's dpf on tunes

9K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  DPS0925 
#1 ·
Anybody running these yet? Looking to tune my 6.7 and keep it intact for warrenty reasons. I've heard good things about Kem's dpf on tunes with the green card but the sct from innovative seems like a much cheaper alternative. I'm not looking to build a race truck here so maximum power really isn't the goal just want something a bit more responsive and fun with a shifting strategy that doesn't suck like Ford's. I know theres been alot of which tunners is best threads lately but no real mention of the sct from innovative and from what they have done in the past I can see them as a good option.

#2 ·
Check out my review on the ID/SCT DPF on tunes

Cliffs notes...

The tunes are great and very powerful. The tuner comes with towing, street and performance tunes as well as transmission tuning. I'm thoroughly impressed with the transmission tuning and would purchase that alone because its so much better than the stock tuning. You won't be disappointed with the money spent.

#3 ·
It was your thread that got me thinking about the sct but just wanted to see what others felt about the tunning. No offence I hope, theres just tons of people that are praising the H&S and KEM stuff right now and you are the only one with Innovative's tunes that I can find. But they just came out reasently also so that makes a big difference. Was hoping someone had tried both and could give a good comparrision.

#11 ·
Honestly, I'm not here to bash anyone or go toe to toe with anyone about their products or the products they choose to run on their truck. However...I've done my research, watched people who've grenades turbos, looked at different feedback and spoken to numerous people about tunes and it all came back to "wait for Eric to release his tune, you'll be very satisfied". I had a buddy at school who had a custom ID tune for his 6L compound setup and said that it was by far the smoothest tuning he's ever had and he's owned numerous tuned trucks. I've heard mixed reviews about other companies and decided to wait it out and I'm extremely glad that I waited for the ID tune. The power is great, the bump in mpg is awesome and ID is a great company to deal with.

If they will be able to tell the truck has been reflashed and tuned anyway wht not just go all out. They can tell you are tuned by how many times your truck has been flashed from what I was told.
Not necessarily true. There are a lot of skeptics out there who will tell you that they can see a footprint, but the truth is that they're going to have to dig heavily to find any sort of trace of a tune. From what I've been told by diesel techs who work at Ford is that there isn't really a way to scan and find that it's been tuned but if they pull the motor apart, it's more likely that they'll see its been tuned by the wearing of certain parts -- makes sense.

the reason Eric@IDP and Mike@KEM have both taken so long on custom tunes were so 1)they could get everything dialed in correctly 2) make sure it was totally untraceable by dealers.... they have told me that on the phone
Church.

So there's no foot print left behind then? That would be great.
Little to none. That was my big selling point with the ID DPF on tune...

Well I just ordered the sct and they said the dealers cant tell if its been tunned once you set it back to stock, so thats good. Now I have to wait till it gets here and try it out!!! Hopefully there isnt to much snow this week. I will keep you guys posted on how it runs as soon as I can.
Congrats on your purchase, I think you'll be very happy with the ID tune. The best part about the ID/SCT tuner is that you load your stock software onto the tuner before you put the reflash onto the ECU. Thus, it's not just Eric writing stock software as that would easily be detected by the dealership. It's legitimately the stock software that came with the truck. Which, in turn, makes it harder for the dealer to see if you've tuned your truck. The initial download/upload takes a minute, but it's worth it. :redspotdance:

#4 ·
If they will be able to tell the truck has been reflashed and tuned anyway wht not just go all out. They can tell you are tuned by how many times your truck has been flashed from what I was told.

#28 ·
I wouldn't waste my time or money with a DPF on tune.
Like Black Cloud said, if you think for some reason a "green" tune doesn't effect your warranty, you're wrong. It's the reflash footprint left behind that will be your downfall. If you think your service tech's the corporate answer on footprints, then you haven't met Mr. Field rep yet. He has a few extra scanning electronic tools at his disposal, and he's going to be looking specifically for reflash dates. I can understand the guy who keeps his truck under 75K at trade in time, or the guy who just doesn't want to mess with the hassle of exhaust pipe work, but it's not a shortcut with any upside, and definitely no warranty upside.

The other problem not being brought to light is that your DPF will need to replaced at an estimated 100K on a stock tune because the ash build up is not servicable. If you add fuel from a tune, your DPF will need to be changed sooner because you are dumping in a ton of extra ash every mile you drive..
Got an extra $3,000.00 for that down the road?

So, I suggest just doing it right and get the best efficiency for your money, as well as a perfectly healthy DPF to reinstall at trade in time.

#23 ·
REALLY?? They're that smart? Gee, FORD better hire them to do their programming then!

I am fairly certain, that there will be ways for Ford to tell, I'd imagine they can see a history of parameters for the different systems, volume of fuel demanded, etc... isn't it fair to expect that there's no way to "Hide" this? IF they can truly do this,, then they better offer a warranty of their own.... will they take care of any damage done to the motor/drive train if it fails with their tunes and Ford denies a warranty claim?

IF they will put that in writing, then I'd say go for it,,, if they won't... then expect to "Pay to Play" as they always say on here!

NO DIS to those guys, I'm sure their tunes are great,,, but to pretty much GUARANTEE the history of tunes is hidden from the dealer? Heck, even the OLD SCMT 60/80 HP programmers from the 7.3L left a little bit of a trail, they told the dealer everytime the power was removed from the PCM,, which gave the dealer an idea you had programmed it.
With the level of electronics on these trucks compared to my early 99,,,, I wouldn't expect the dealer to not have a clue, or even a suspicion it was tuned... sorry.
Like I said, the SCMT from back then "Uploaded your stock PCM programming, and downloaded a tune" that was how they got by with you NOT programming more than one truck at a time,, even then dealers were trying to deny warranty claims I am sure, because you "Tuned" your truck,, YES there is the Magnasson Moss act,, and if you have enough money to fight FORD,, then go for it.....

#10 ·
Well I just ordered the sct and they said the dealers cant tell if its been tunned once you set it back to stock, so thats good. Now I have to wait till it gets here and try it out!!! Hopefully there isnt to much snow this week. I will keep you guys posted on how it runs as soon as I can.

#12 ·
Thanks Buck Russell for all your input, I also was waiting to see what would pop up in the 6.7 world after the first year or so, things should only get better the more guys figure these motors out, can't wait.

#17 ·
The SCT unit will actually ask you if you are running the stock tire size and what the cold pressure of the tires you're running...

The SCT unit will also clear DTC's as well as give you logging capability for certain data blocks. It's quite a robust little unit and the cost is not that bad. Eric said he's working with SCT on the other tuners (hardware) for release in the near future. Not sure how long that's going to be since SCT was one of the main reasons for the delay in the release of this software... All in all, can't go wrong for $650!

#18 ·
I have to ask, did anyone else have problems (on a 6.4) I was running SCT with erics tunes and the dpf on option selected... my truck clogged up and I had to tow it to the dealer :(

I DONT want that to happen on my 6.7! ... so.. how certain is this to not happen.

On second thought I may have been running the second highest tune which ... wasnt smart... but then why give the dpf on option?

#25 ·
Thinking back on these posts,, I hope no one thinks I am "Bashing" Kem or anyone else,, but I also hope ANYONE who buys tunes, for these motors, is prepared to "Pay to Play" because, the possibility is still there. Unless the Dealers who sell those tunes are willing to back up a.... what,, maybe 1,000 dollar sale (I truly don't even know what the tunes cost now for these motors) with a 16,000 dollar guarantee? Your naive to think that there's NO WAY you'll get caught,, maybe the chances are slimmer,, but I doubt it's impossible to NOT get denied warranty work..... so I'd think long and hard before doing it.

#26 ·
Sure sounds like a lot of bashing to me. Took my truck to the dealer Monday for a small hiccup and they said they scanned it and all was fine. I asked twice if they found anything and they said "yeah, you changed your intake from banks to s&b, but other than that your truck checks out just fine". They're not a dealer that beats around the bush either.

Eric's tunes are some of the safer/conservative tunes on the market but I'll stand behind his tunes any day of the week. I'm not so sure why you think that we're all doomed here. Hell, Eric's tunes hardly raise the boost at all. Maybe 1psi max. Eric gets all the power from endless hours of tweaking other pieces of the software tables. It's safe, reliable power. Its not 50psi of boost all the time.

#30 ·
Well today is the day, my sct showed up!! So I hooked it up to let the fun begin...... ECM not supported!!!!!WTF!!!!! Tried to update it but its up to date, called SCT and turns out when I had my trans reflashed the pcm was also reflashed and now its unsupported till they add the newer strategy which wont be till next week at the earliest. Awsome this is more then likely the last week of good weather and dry roads till the end of april up here.
I hope this gets sorted out sooner then later.

#31 ·
Sorry if it sounded like Bashing,, not doing that, honestly. However, if the first post shows up here,, "My warranty was denied because........" There going to be dozens of posts saying,, well you better be prepared to "Pay to Play" ,,, also George brings up a great point,, the DPF and the extra soot being deposited,, is it being cleaned out with more regens with the DPF on tune? Or will it have to be replaced much sooner?

#33 ·
First, soot doesn't pass the the filter, it's captured completely. The more soot that's generated, the more regenerated ash that builds up in the DPF holding area. Sooner or later, probably MUCH sooner, your DPF will be full with no storage area left, and then must be replaced.

Second, the extra DEF is a great question. I'm looking forward to someone explaining anything bebeficial about a DPF "on" tune..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.