Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New Project, lots of work

10K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  smokinford07 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to show ya my new project truck, the body is pretty rough, but it runs and drives great, for $1,500 I could not turn it down.

99 ex cab, 7.3 with an auto.

I'm pondering pulling the 7.3 out and doing a Cummins swap with the motor out of my 93, but for now, my main focus is to fix the body. Also if anyone can identify the wheels that are on this thing, that'd be great.

See less See more
#3 ·
runs like a top, and tranny was rebuilt about a year ago has roughly 160k on it. And starts almost as easily as my 12v.

#5 ·
Thanks guys,

Sarge, that's the thing, It needs a bed, and both doors on the passenger side have dents, but other than that, nothing major at all. I plan on driving it this winter and gathering the parts for the body and the Cummins swap.

#7 ·
any advice on where to start finding parts? what would look good on this thing? I'm going to make a cowl hood for it (I already have the scoop).

#8 ·
whatre you gonna use it for? i think i see the setup for a plow up front.
some 33" mt and some wheels that stick out bout an inch. then replace those mirrors and put some cummins mudflaps as well as badges.

and paint it inferno red.
always wanted a crew that inferno red on black rims.

#9 ·
I have to take the plow set up off of it and give it back to the PO, I'm never going to use it anyway. I was thinking tow mirrors, black grille, smoked head lights, cab lights, and tails, I planned on keeping it some shade of red, thanks for the suggestion there, Possibly thinking of herculining the bottom strip, Black wheels, and a black 6" mitre cut. Next plan is to possibly sell the 93, buy a p-pumped motor, and a few of the parts to go along with the swap.

#11 ·
Oh and it'll be my DD, I'm shooting for around 400-450hp when I'm done.

#12 ·
Sorry bud, I've already got a few, and I'm just gonna get the one powder coated I think. But I know a few people looking for them, I'll let ya know what I can come up with.

#15 ·
Thanks man. I'm workin 6am-5:30pm Sunday- Thursday right now, so haven't really got a chance to work much on anything. I'm hoping to have it here tomorrow after work. Then I'll start my plans. I'm thinking of painting it white. The bed I'm looking at for it is white.

#16 ·
One other thing. Can someone give me an idea of who to go to for what part for the Cummins swap, I know Destroked, Fordcummins, and Beans all can help, but I'm trying to piece together the best deal I can. I saw there was a trans controller on destroked, when I went to the website, there was another one on there for 600 that didn't require a laptop. I think the plan is, to sell or trade the 7.3 for a 12v, sell my 93 and use that money for the parts. Not sure yet though.

#17 ·
damn what ever you do u got a hell of a deal on that rig you stole that thing!

#19 ·
So here's the deal, a certain family member of mine got shafted on deal with his truck, he is in desperate need of one, so I'm going to sell/trade him for my 93 1st gen, I was going to sell that truck to finance my Cummins swap, so it looks like I'll be sticking to a 7.3 for a while. The partial trade will be for a set of 75% 285 mud tires, and a raptor lift pump.

#20 ·
great deal and you'd definitely benefit from painting it another color....if you're replacing so many parts it'd be to your benefit to repaint the whole truck....color matches are NEARLY impossible....I see some rust on the front fenders as well...have you thought about doing a complete front end swap since you're doing so much else? it's not that hard really and it'd really make you stand out there man!

Chad

#21 ·
Thank ya, I've been thinking about the front end swap, I'd really like to do it. But trying to find those parts around here that aren't all smashed up or cost more than I paid for the whole truck is pretty tough.

#22 ·
New plan, scrapping the 12v idea and decided to "build" me a 7.3, I was thinking 99.5+ sticks, idm and ecm for now, with custom tunes with a 4" exhaust and a cold air intake. Then find me another forged rod motor, put it on the stand and go "bigger". I wanna hit 425-475, big window i know, but I'd be happy.

#25 ·
That power goal is easily achievable, no need for another forged rod engine in my opinion. After your tunes, intake, exhaust and gauges, get some injectors, a turbo, fuel system, studs, and valve springs, and that will make a great platform for 425-475. Your on the right track so far, and congrats on a sweet deal!!

#23 ·
Ok, so it's been a while since I updated this thread. So far, I have put a set of tow mirrors on the truck I got for nothing, got me an almost spotless tailgate, fixed the pesky constant DOOR AJAR light with some WD40, put a free set of BFG rugged trails 265's on, got all the inside lights working, and put a new stereo in it. I'll get some pictures of it tomorrow.

Now for the fun stuff...
I sold my trap gun and have some money to buy some goodies. First on my list is a 5" exhaust. I found a Diamond Eye kit for $360 and a 6" tip for $60. Are those good prices or does anyone have anything cheaper?
Second on the list is a 6 position chip from PHP.
Third is a BHAF. Hopefully this stuff will wake with thing up, and help the fuel mileage some.

#24 ·
ill pm you some better prices

#26 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. The plan to get another forged rod motor would be to re-bearing it and rings if needed. It would probably be easier for me to have a second engine sitting on the stand to build because things move very slowly around here with 10 different projects going on constantly. And with this truck being my DD I usually can't have it down for more than a whole day.

#27 ·
OK, just ordered me some parts:

Donaldson B085011 Filter
5" exhaust with 4" dp
and as soon as I get my code off my ecm, will have a 6pos from PHP ordered

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.