Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Turbo- Air rushing. Surge?

4K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  CTC DEEZUL 
#1 ·
I replaced my up pipes with the single piece because I was too dam lazy to see if the gaskets were even leaking. Well they werent and I still have the same sound in cab. I had small load(1500lbs) on and with a 60 MPH head wind I heard it alot. I had my tow tune on and it got even louder and EGTs were rather high... Its about when you shift into 3rd or 4th a loud rush of air that bursts, than quiets but still says vocal... I might go grab a video... Wastegate is D/C'd also...

#4 ·
Yrying to hear the burst at the end but cant make it out right now, cant turn up the sound...
You do know what turbo stall sounds like eh.
not that is it.

#6 ·
Turbo stall will do that,, it is a woosh like an airbrake. Normal.
Prob not a great habit to practice repeating over and over
But not sure where your high egts are from, heavier load and hot tune maybe.

#7 ·
Get a ported compressor housing, almost sounds like surge. Mine used to surge when I had a load and the Rpms were under 2500 accelerating. BTW what were the EGT's??

#10 ·
If that is post turbo I would agree it is high. If your probe is pre-turbo, your fine. It sounds normal to me. If it makes you feel better you can build a boost leak detector and check the whole thing over carefully.

#12 ·
It's a turbo stall. When you let off the drive pressure drops imediately. The intake or compressor side of the turbo is then unable to hold the pressure that has built in the intake plumbing and intercooler so some of the air pushes back out of the tubo causing the sound you hear.

#15 ·
But it should go away when the psi drops, from what I understand and how mine acts its still blowing after equalization.

I tracked mine this morning thinking of this thread. It pops off under just regular DD load. I let it whistle for several miles even after I set the cruise. I did notice that once it throttled up to climb a hill it wil close up and gain power. This has for to be WG. My vac is unhooked but I've never adjusted the tension.

#17 ·
I must be hearing something else in the video.
Have you checked for boost leaks? I mean like built a boost leak detector and used air pressure to find leaks?

#20 ·
Use plumbing adapters and a pressure regulator. I drilled and tapped a plumbing cap (can't remember what size) so I could screw on the pressure regulator. Then attach it to the turbo inlet with a 3 in. rubber coupling (also from the plumbing department) to the turbo inlet. Make darn sure the clamps are tight. Clip your air hose on and dial the pressure up to about 15 psi and listen for leaks. Some soapy water is also helpfull. You need a good air supply for this to maintain pressure as air will leak through the engine. CAUTION! Stand clear of the leak detector when it is pressurized. Even at 15 psi it can be dangerous if it blows off.

#22 ·
Make sure to read it, the cap shown is different then the norm used.
And if you have left yor ccv alone you have to be cautious where you put it as to not pressurize the crank case.

#25 ·
Sounds like "normal" compressor surge to me, time to install the port shrouded cover or a 38r.

#27 ·
Sure, just try to drive around the amount of load that causes it to surge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.