Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

precision torque converter...

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  goodyfab7.3 
#1 ·
anyone hear of a precision of north hampton iowa?
they make HD torque converters, and my transmission is being serviced tomorrow depending on the news, i may pull the trigger and get the torque converter and VB mod and run the tranny for a while more.

i plow with the truck and my understanding is the stock converter cannot handle this or towing very well and the clutch material breaks down and then takes the tranny out with it.

currently 152000(i dont know if its original) fluid smells good and shifts perfectly, just doing some preventative maintenance since i just nbought the truck

so i believe its there diesel peformance series they have in stock and my price about $600

any thoughts? advice?

i also will have a tuner in a day or two, i drive easy 90% of the time but would like to be able to smash the skinny pedal without worrying

#2 ·
If you want to plow worry free, best get yourself a BTS. He has been known to warranty it forever and even for plowing with little to no restrictions.

I wouldn't spend money on a 150K trans since you end up tossing the TC or having it cut apart, cleaned, welded back and balanced if the trans breaks. Only way I spend that kind of money is when the trans is getting rebuilt.

#5 ·
junk ?
they are a triple disc billet faced converter, what makes them junk or even comprable to stock?

do you have any experience with them?

please let me know

#4 ·
ive read a few places the bts is unbreakable for the most part.

ill be getting one....hopefully before summer if funds allow :)
/?
not to rob the thread but if you were not to go with a bts trans, what would be the best TQ converter option in your guys opinon

#7 ·
not to rob the thread but if you were not to go with a bts trans, what would be the best TQ converter option in your guys opinon
Whatever the builder recommends. You put your own TC there and if a problem arises, you might have issues with the builder.

#6 ·
anyway i serviced the tranny, and found excessive debris in the pan / magnet, so i decided to do the service and hold off on the torque converter, im gonna hold out until this lets go.

it runs, and drives perfectly though.

so a this very good tranny shop local offers a heavy duty rebuild with tc (the precision HD) for $3250 with a 36000 mile 3 year warranty...

now to chose between this or a bts but i think im going to go with the local rebuild, i emailed bts because a few years ago i did some fab work on two trucks with 4r100's the trucks owner both got sold on BTS, i always wanted one since then but i emailed and the reply i got was 4700 with fluid, thats ALOT of money... and for me do i need a bts ? im only planning on getting to the 350-400hp range, and i am not very hard on my truck.

#8 ·
so a this very good tranny shop local offers a heavy duty rebuild with tc (the precision HD) for $3250 with a 36000 mile 3 year warranty...

now to chose between this or a bts but i think im going to go with the local rebuild, i emailed bts because a few years ago i did some fab work on two trucks with 4r100's the trucks owner both got sold on BTS, i always wanted one since then but i emailed and the reply i got was 4700 with fluid, thats ALOT of money... and for me do i need a bts ? im only planning on getting to the 350-400hp range, and i am not very hard on my truck.
Read the exclusions first. Ford offers the same warranty but if you are not stock, the warranty is at risk.

No it is not a lot of money. I believe it might also include a cooler which you will want since your trans is on borrowed time. As far as whether you need a BTS or not, I suppose it depends on what you think your peace of mind is worth. To me, it is worth the money since I can beat on it and not GAS if it breaks since it will be covered for as long as BTS is in business.

#9 ·
Back to the original question, I also went with a local builder that had a pretty good reputation, as bad as I wanted a BTS I didn't have the time to wait. And I went with a Precision HD TC. I remember them from my Mustang days. The first TC did go bad on me within the first 1,000 miles, However they made good on it and I have not had a problem with the TC or Trans living at just shy of 500hp with a LOT of heavy towing. This has been close to 5 years ago.

Point is- BTS and JW are the best, but i went local with a Precision Industries and have had a great track record. With a 6.0 cooler of course.

#12 ·
It will be priced lower but that is until it breaks. After which, the cost goes up. I think the phrase is "Penny wise, pound foolish" once you consider that pushing snow is hard on a truck trans and he is fixing it for free the next time around.

#13 ·
im gonna see how far i get with my truck money stash by the time it breaks, i want a BTS but we will see what happens... i appreciate the advice.

do all you guys run bts trans?

#14 ·
I run a BTS trans simply because I am going to keep the truck till the thing rusts to the ground. OTOH, this is WI and we use salt like it is going out of style so it might be sooner than I think. LOL

Still, I know I am not easy on my truck or any vehicle I have. I know that it breaks sooner or later so if I am keeping it, it probably will break at least a couple times more. I wanted the peace of mind to do as I please and not have to worry about when the rebuild bill is coming.

If you are planning to sell it soon, I would simply buy whatever is cheapest. OTOH, keeping it for a long time, BTS is probably the best route since he is reputed to rebuild them for FREE even after the 2 yr warranty is up and has no excuses of why it doesn't qualify for a rebuild.

#15 ·
this is the reason why i want a bts ive heard stories of him telling clients good luck breaking it, and if/when they break he takes care of them...

thats customer service you wont find anywhere else. i hope to experience it someday, as well as having a transmission i could not worry abour walking through.

i feel like if i run the hotter tunes im afraid to step on it ...

#17 ·
I think Dockboy here races it and has broken it 5 or 6 times in 8 years. All cheerfully replaced for free except when he broke the case then there was a case charge, IIRC.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Lots of guys have broken bts trannies...ok not lots but several, never heard of any complaints..and they out lasted several other brands.

One thing you cannot do on a bts is roll foward and reverse instantly, ok you can do it but brian frowns on it, so will your tranny

#20 ·
One thing you cannot do on a bts is roll foward and reverse instantly, ok you can do it but brian frowns on it, so will your tranny
Can you do that with any brand of tranny except with a transvestite type of tranny? LOL

#24 ·
When I bought mine, he suggested it to me. Never even pushed me. Left it up to me to get it as I saw fit. Do you happen to know if the 6.0 cooler can be flushed? Supposedly someone said Brain said so.

#26 ·
When my diode gave way, I just tossed my newly installed 6.0 cooler and got a new one since I didn't figure it could be flushed. DOH!!!:doh::doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.