Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

black rims on a truck with chrome

7K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Ian123 
#1 ·
I have always really liked black 20" rockstars but wasn't sure my truck could pull them off. I came across a good deal and now I am tempted to try them out. I've seen black rims on a blue truck and it looks good, what I'm worried about is all the chrome. I don't want to get rid of the chrome side mirrors, because I like how a lot of trucks don't have them. The side steps are also chrome but I would hate getting in and out of the truck without them. I've been wanted to upgrade to 20's for a while now and haven't had the money so this is my chance. Here's a picture of my truck, what is everyone's opinions on how it would look with black rims?

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe get the chrome center caps. But I dont think black and chrome mix well. But the only way to find out is to try it.

#8 ·
This is a tough choice...i mostly agree with what you guys are saying but I just really want 20s. I think I'm gonna see if he will let me try them on first.

#9 ·
that or if it's a good deal. buy em run em til you decide then sell em if it's not for you

#12 ·
Its going to look sort of like this:

I dont think it will look bad but, the chrome isnt going to look right...my step bars are getting painted black and so are the mirror covers

#13 ·
Thanks for the picture GreenHornet. At least your truck is black but the I see how the rims still clash with the chrome.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone, I will definitely be thinking it over some more.

#14 ·
Well I put my Photoshop (actually MS Paint) skills to the test and came up with this. Surprisingly I really like it :D

Now I just have to wait and see if the guy even calls...

#18 ·
I actually like it. Didn't think I was going to like it, but it's not bad at all.

#17 ·
I'd have to answer NO to that question. At least not as of about 6 months ago. I went through 3 of them in a 12 month period, and one of them that cracked was one of the replacements that had been put on. I think I got about 6 months out of the replacement before it cracked. However, all of my wheels now seem to be holding air (fingers crossed). I thought seriously of going with another wheel, but have really grown to like the way my Rockstars look on my truck. However, coming out to flat tires in the morning is pretty annoying. Now I've got on-board air, so at least I have a way to easily fill them back up to get over to 4WP for them to order a new one for me!

#20 ·
I've heard about the cracking but thought it was just cosmetic. It pops the tires too? And can I get a replacement if I'm not the original owner?

#23 ·
Yeah I definitely like how they look. I spoke to the guy Sunday and he said it will be a week til he takes them off his truck so now its just a waiting game.

#26 · (Edited)
I personally dont like the rock stars, i like a wheel with a nice deep lip on it. I also think rockstars are over played. For me personally i would save some money up and wait for a chrome set to pop up.

#29 ·
I agree, I've always wanted those rims for this truck. Unfortunately I'm in college and only work part time so I can't make any "big" purchases until summer when I can work more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.