Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

lights flickering.

32K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  maulberger1 
#1 ·
I've pretty much burnt up the search button looking for answers with this one. My lights have been flickering for the past couple weeks. doesnt matter if im going 75 on the hwy or idling they still do it. I replaced the alternator about a month ago, a reman from orielly's. any ideas?

#4 ·
Dude, 15 people have viewed this thread. If we had an answer we would of given you one. Just relax its only 1800, some people have yet to settle down and look at the computer.

#7 ·
Take it to Autozone, have them run a test on your Alternator, while they are doing that also run some accessories to put a load on it as well. See how much its drawing. Your truck can still run with a dead alternator, just it wont start if the batteries are completely drained.

#8 ·
will do. i had already had it tested but i'll yank it out and do it again.

#9 ·
it prolly has nothing to do with the alternator, are they dim? or just flickering? there is a plug on the upper side of the steering column, check that. mine wouldnt come on or would just go off going down the road..... make sure you unplug it and look at the pins, mine wasnt making good contact and was all brown around it.... i just bent the pin down and added some electric grease to it..... works great now.

#10 ·
it prolly has nothing to do with the alternator, are they dim? or just flickering?
no it doesnt cut out completely they just fluctuate in brightness. i recently noticed that they do it less when im in a rolling idle.

#11 ·
then yes, it sounds charging related...... I went thry 3 autozone alternators in 2 days once..... good luck. i now carry a digital volt meter with me...... i check the batteries and alternator all the time

#12 ·
My truck lights did'nt flicker but the radio did and acted crazy as all hell till I replaced the batteries. THen a short time after that found my alternator was only putting out 9vlts so batts were'nt charging. You dont have to pull alt to get it check neither.

#16 ·
I Have Recently Bought A Pre Powerstroke 6.9 But It Is Doing The Same Thing While Driving Down The.Road Lights Start To Pulse , Every Thread I've Read Everyone Has Changed The.Same Things Battery, Alternator , Checked Grounds Etc ... I Noticed In One That Someone Was Talking About It Possibly Being The Voltage Regulator , Haven't Tried It Yet But Am Going To Try Seeing How That' The One Thing No One Else Has Tried , Just Throwing This Out There

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.