Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Body Work and Paint

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  PPE'dPowerStroke 
#1 ·
I've started on a project, not a powerstroke......or a Ford, I'm not sure where to put it so I figured the most people look on this page the most. But I'm doing work on my Dodge D250. I've taken the body trim off and there are a few holes, they're about the size of a nickel, do I weld them or use some kind of filler? If so a filler what kind? I've never done anything like this but figured a old beat up dodge would be the perfect fit. I'm wanting to sand the entire truck and primer it all up and sand again but have no idea on what grit sand paper to use? I need all the help I can get please. Someone can move this thread to where it needs to go if need be or if there is a thread on here that will help me out, I couldn't find any. Please help a fellow powerstroker out :ford:

#2 ·
Cut plates bigger than the holes and weld them in from the back.Then skim with filler to level the surface. What condition is the paint in ? If its good enough to scuff up get a D.A. sander with some 600 on it and go to town , wipedown with a good grease and wax remover then shoot primer. You can block the primer with 600 also . As far as filler I use evercote . Its easy to work with and is a quality product. Good luck with your project , this is how I learned how to do bodywork. Maybe an experienced body guy will chime in and give you some more pointers.

#3 ·
Thanks alot!! Where would I get evercote? The paint isn't bad just really bad sun fading with very little rust, the rust it has is just surface rust in the top quarter of the cab and whats a D.A. sander? is it air or electric powered?

#6 ·
I'll try to get some up in the morning, she's nothing pretty but perfect for a first project like this

#7 ·
#8 ·
The interior is almost perfect, the headliner was drooping so I put some push pins in it....that added a nice chrome touch to the interior along with the Kenwood fold down touch screen cd deck and kenwood 6x9s in the door with two rockford 10inch P3's behind the seat haha I like it loud, and suprisingly the stack isn't noisy right where it's at. And it's the perfect height to blacken somebody who's tailgating me LOL

#10 ·
Thanks, It'll be a fun one I think. Gotta wait till Christmas break thou so it could be out of commision for a while and I wouln't have to rush things

#11 ·
Bondo is the devil but i would use it sparingly... Or get a tig welder and a copper stop and go to town. I know 600 is safe but I would get more aggressive and sand blast with glass or 2-300 grit paper. Sand will get the panels to hot and warp them the glass will also take less metal with it and keep heat down.

#12 ·
Tig welding is outta the question, I can't get my hands on one. Sand blast the whole truck?

#14 ·
I'll have to check into that, maybe I can rent the machine to do it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.