Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dropped torx bit into oil passage... Help please???

13K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  TonyG146 
#1 ·
New to diesels and new to this forum. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2003 F-350 6.0L

Here is the situation...
I was replacing injector o-rings and all was going smooth until...
I was on injector #3 when my cheap chinese #30 torx bit broke (came separated from the socket) and fell straight into the passage to the lower left of the injector.

I am guessing that is an oil return and really hoping that the bit made it all the way to the oil pan. I did hear the bit make good contact with metal a few times in it's descent.

Q. Should the bit have made it all the way to the oil pan, or is it likely somewhere prior?

If it is likely it is in the oil pan I will go ahead and remove the pan. If it is not likely I guess I will be pulling the motor.

I will be finishing the injector o-rings first thing in the morning when I get off work and then will be on to this problem.

If I could get any suggestions or reccomendations prior to then I would geatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just crank it and hope for the best.LOL I would for sure pull the pan and have a look see in there. Good luck.

#3 ·
i wouldnt be to worried about it. ive had spool valve bolts break on bolth of my trucks,and the little nut,and bolt stem were never found. could have come out some point,while draining the oil. never caused any issues. the screen on the oil pickup is tight enough,that the bit cant be sucked up in the pickup tube.

#5 ·
Its definately something to drain the oil out and fish around with a magnest first. But if it fell on the windage tray, good luck... The pan will come out just enough to fish around even better....

#9 ·
thanks for the replies so far... I have been unable to find a diagram that show me where that drain runs. I will hope for now that it fell all the way to the oil pan while I do my ccv mod and egr delete. Will change my oil when I am done topside and update..

Thanks

#11 ·
that drain goes to the pan!! dont worry about it. as i stated this morning,i have 2 truck that have spool valve bolt in them somewhere. plus the countless customer trucks that come in,with broken spool valve bolts. no issues ever. dont get me wrong,i look for the broken pieces,but have never pulled a pan to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.