Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dot 4 Brake Fluid

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FTG-05 
#1 ·
Is it alright to use Dot 4 fluid? I added the Braided SS Brake lines for Ct Performance.

#2 · (Edited)
I just did a complete brake system flush 1 month ago and used this product... Nothing but stellar results... would have loved to replace the rotors and calipers and pads at the same time... but just the brake fluid really improved the feel of the system...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Valvoline-32-oz-DOT-3-and-4-brake-fluid/_/N-25ah?counter=8&itemIdentifier=33406_0_0_

Before this--->Once a yr around November I would suck all the old brake fluid out of the master cylinder and fill with this product...Brakes worked perfect for all those yrs...

AMSOIL - Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid (BF4)

Now that I know how to flush the brake system--{Gravity Bleed} Next summer I will switch back to the Amsoil...

#3 ·
Sure is fine to use DOT 4. I wouldn't go with DOT 5 since that is silicone based which is best for boobs or race cars.

Not sure if there is a difference between fluid brands. I never felt it myself but it could be a placebo effect. Still, I would change the fluids every couple of years at least. Not sure exactly what the difference between DOT 4 and DOT 3 is besides the boiling point.

#4 ·
From what I understand while DOT 5.0 is silicone based and has a high affinity for air entrapment, DOT 5.1 is glycol based and is used by guys that do heavy hauling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.