6.0 AC Compressor and Fan Clutch - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
JustDiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Angry 6.0 AC Compressor and Fan Clutch

First off, thank you for any information that you can help me with on the following.

Here is my question: Would a frozen radiator clutch fan cause the AC compressor to break loose from the block?

Here is the back story if you care to read.

I had Ford replace the entire AC system in my 04 Excursion (6.0 stock) about a two months ago (Nice 1600$ bill). Made a 12 hour trip to Atlanta and back and wife drove it around town for about three weeks (no issues). I went down to FL for a few weeks for some training, the family decided to come down over Labor day weekend, truck made it about 2.5 hours into the drive and lost the serp belt. I had wife tow it to the nearest local shop with an idea that the belt and probably the tension-er pulley would need to be replaced. The local shop found that the bolts in the AC compressor bolts had broke off in the block.

I called the Ford dealership that did the original work and they said that warranty would cover the issue if I would have it towed to the nearest Ford dealership, so I did. They finally got around to working on the truck two weeks later and figured out it was going to be a lot more work than they intended.

Now they have the bolts drilled out of the block, the ac compressor reinstalled and now apparently the radiator fan clutch is froze.

All that to finally get to my question. Would a frozen radiator clutch fan cause the AC compressor to break loose from the block?

My thoughts are that the truck would over heat first, or that the serp belt would de-trac before the AC compressor bolts would break. Again, any insight on this would be great. Thank you
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Zmann
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: 6.0 AC Compressor and Fan Clutch

a locked fan clutch would just keep the fan engages all the time
and it's usually noticable by the noise of the fan and possible overcooling
O6 King Ranch cc sb 8 inch lift ,37 Toyo's,Helo’s Edge Insight CTS guage only , Auber EGT , o8 center console , xm satellite ,coolant filter,RSX 9000 shocks,dual TGC dual steering stabilizers ,Viper , remote toolbox popper, High Idle mod , $ link Rize , ARP's, BPD EGR cooler, Fabtech traction bars, Tony's tune
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM
JustDiesel
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: 6.0 AC Compressor and Fan Clutch

Thank you ZMANN. Appreciate your time.
Reply With Quote Go to the top

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 33
06 f250 man, 2 Stroker, 6liternole, bond james bond, DcMoore999, Dirty outlaw, DSL808, F-250-Owner, FoolishPride, HARTATTACK, hawgdoctor, hoosier6.0, jarrett548, Joeys199, Josh2021, jsm180, JustDiesel, lildevil02, m j, muchi56, nickPSD, nrook, Nutz, OBS F350, onesickf350harley4x4, powerjoker97, Pruitt Motorsports, Sandy51m, Tbobhill, tri2bme, Zmann, zunk