Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

building a set of uppipes

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  radcustoms 
#1 ·
Okay i was wondering what would be needed to make a set of my own up pipes. i have hypermax turbo mount and i wanna use stock exhaust manifolds. I can weld pretty much anything and i have access to a cnc, and am gonna make a bellow for the top of the pipe at the turbo mount. But with high egts could i use pipes off a e99 and modify them to work, or will they kink from getting to hot? Are aftermarket pipes made of different metal then the stock ones? I plan to run 400/400 injectors with a s series turbo setup so am guessing those pipes are gonna get really hot. If anyone has any pics i would like to see and get some ideas. And the whole idea for this is because when i got the turbo and mount with the pipes, the old pipes were kinked from being to hot i guess.So am kinda wieghing my options to build a set or save my money and buy some.

#5 ·
If you have a hypermax kit then what are you needing to make? They use the stock up pipes...

#6 ·
okay i got some pics of the turbo that came with the motor maybe u guys can tell me what it is. Cuz the guy told me it was a s480 80/86 and he ran 400/400s with it. but i cant find any markings or numbers on it to tell what the a/r and stuff like that is. And am needing to make a new set of uppipes for it cuz the ones that were on it warped for to much heat. Thats if i keep this setup from what u guys are saying.

#14 ·
I was wondering that. My goal for the truck and motor is around 700hp. I am mainly gonna run it on the track and on occasion drive it on the streets. I dont want it to be limited to just drag strip or sled pulling i wanna drive it and have some fun no sense in building something i cant have fun in. i was thinking some 375s or 400s for injectors. I was on ur site checking out ur turbo kits and am def gonna be in touch when i get some money.

#13 ·
You have a hypermax kit... Get some stock up pipes or Hypermax pipes and dont run the EGT's to 2000* for 30-40-50 seconds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.