Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

hydro assist trouble

5K views 69 replies 7 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
I wasnt sure where to put this thread but anyway... I just put a hydro assist steering kit on my truck. Sitting still turning the wheel it turns like stock which is hard imo... Can you modify the pump or anything i thought it would steer alot easyer. I havent drove the truck yet but i have cycled the steering wheel from lock to lock about 50 times or more. I plan to call westtexasoffroad in the morning

#2 ·
what does your kit consist of? were the brakes on? what size ram?

One of the big issues with hydro assist is that hydro boost units limit the amount of flow through them. That flow is needed by the ram.

If you throttle up some, does it steer any better?

#5 ·
nothing you can do if your pump isn't that great. Takes some time to get some of the air out. Keep checking it and adding fluid. Did you get it set up so the ram is stroked out at full lock each direction?

Pumps are also cheap too... mine took a dump just putting the kit on...

#10 ·
before you go too crazy, you need to figure out what 'kit' you have. If Matt from WTO sent you a kit, you need to know what it is supposed to act like.

In my rock crawler, I have hydro assist and hydro boost. I went with a specially ported HB unit from Vanco, because of all the problems most people have with stock HB units and HA. There doesnt seem to be a real 'system' to making these work. If someone sold you a kit, it should work as advertized.

Im not sure what steering pumps these things are running, I need to go look. However, if its a C2 or 3 pump (i cant remember what stock for is) they pretty much suck for non stock anything. There is, or used to be, a sagniaw conversion for 80/90's fords that monted to the factory bracket. Ill try and look into it for you/

#13 ·
the other thing is, you might make more flow at the pump, but if the HB unit is limiting the flow, it wont make a difference. The fluid goes from the pump, to HB and then to the gear box.

try calling vancopbs.com. Those guys are VERY knowledgeable.

#14 ·
I called west texasoffroad and talked to mat he said that this is how the kit is designed you want it to steer firm or it would be very dificult to drive down the road. But it isnt going to steer any harder no matter what tires i put on it. I always thought it would make it steer and easy as a chevy pickup or somthing...

#19 ·
Yes but i am on stock tires yet ill let you know when i get 14.50 or 15.50 on 14 wide rims i just ordered. The kit did get rid of alot of the play in the steering wheel. I had a buddy turn the truck lock to lock and he thought is was great and he drives chevy trucks...

#21 ·
I talked with a guy at psc and for an 02 truck, he had no improvement so sell other than a ram assist setup.

They may offer a pump that will mount up but he said the hydro boost will kill the pump. I asked about having the hydro boost ported and he said the only improvement gained there is the ability to turn the tires while sitting still with the brake pedal pushed.

Another question was if the factory resivor is enough to feed the ram and he said it is.

The other thing I was interested in was the mounting setup somebody had on there 2011 truck and he said they always talked about selling that kit but probably never will.

#25 ·
dont mount the arm to the dif cover. I know some do it, but unless you have cone syle bolts with proper holes in the diff cover (which factory does not) the cover will shft about on the bolts, and likely leak.

find a permanant fixed location and build a mount.

#27 ·
What pitman arm r u running? The ticket on the 05-07 trucks is a Skyjacker. It uses a shorter throw than all the other brands and makes them steer like butter at low speeds. I have the drop arm for an 8" lift and compared to pro comp its a night and day difference without assist steering.

#29 ·
Here are some pics of the hydro assist. I had trouble welding the bracket to the housing if you cant tell lol I am going to take the truck out and put the tire against a big tree or somthing on both sides and turn the wheel and if it breaks the weld i will have to get diff welding sticks...

#31 ·
Thanks for the photos. Have you had a chance to drive it yet? Did you tap the box yourself or did you have ******* do the drilling? I was thinking of making a mount that bolts on to the Diff cover like the OUO bracket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.