Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

BAD NEWS on engine tick...

153K views 83 replies 46 participants last post by  MESHEGO1 
#1 ·
Might want this to be a sticky as a lot are starting to post about this issue after getting some miles racked up...

Talked to my buddy that's a diesel mechanic yesterday at ford and he did some research on the engine tick... Found some tsb on it but the bad news.... It's normal! In a nutshell it's the breaking in/wear of the engine internals and it's present in all diesels (7.0,6.0,etc) however the new trucks are so quiet you can actually hear the breaking in "tick"....

Here's the tsb he emailed to me

6.7L DIESEL—TICK/TAP NOISE AT IDLE TSB 10-19-2
FORD:
2011 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550
ISSUE Dealers should not attempt to compare any
Some 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a customer vehicles exhibiting this noise with other
ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is similar vehicles as the noise is different from vehicle
often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its to vehicle and this may lead to the incorrect
similarity to the sound of random typing on a conclusion that the vehicle has a condition.
mechanical typewriter. Customers may report that Typewriter Noise is a normal operating
when near a building, wall or drive through window, characteristic of this diesel engine. This noise has
that this noise can be heard from inside the cab. no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not
attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is
ACTION characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will
Follow the Service Information to inform the typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil
customer of the characteristic. change maintenance interval.
SERVICE INFORMATION Refer to vehicle Owner Guides and Maintenance
Guides for approved engine oil viscosities and
The relationship between the oil film, crankshaft usage information. Use of different oil viscosities will
journals, bearing inserts and engine cylinder block not eliminate this noise and is not recommended.
produces a sound that is heard as a ticking noise. Customers should be informed that these conditions
The overall noise reduction in engines produced do not affect engine durability and no repairs are
today makes this noise seem new when, in fact, it necessary.
was present in prior model year vehicles, but
masked by other noises in the past. Because the WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only - Not
6.7L diesel engine includes a number of design Warrantable
improvements to reduce diesel engine noise,
Typewriter Noise can be more noticeable than on
previous products. Typewriter Noise is not
detrimental to engine function or durability. Other
manufacturers of diesel engines have reported the
presence of this condition for a number of years.
Build tolerance stack-up from engine to engine
contributes to perceived differences in noise
intensity. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F
(65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to
approximately 1700 RPM’s), this noise can typically
be heard at the front wheel well and is often
isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan
area.
#

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes ita English lol I will repost off a computer here in a few I'm sorry I just pasted off my phone and it didn't transfer bold stuff and ran it all together...

An yes you have a point but it kinda sucks there's a tick and you got nothing can do about it and have to explain to everyone why your brand new 60k truck makes weird noises... I'd say knowing some guys on the forums it will even be enough for them to get rid of their truck because of it... It's annoying but I love my truck! Lol

#7 ·
turn up the radio lol

#8 ·
Might want this to be a sticky as a lot are starting to post about this issue after getting some miles racked up...

Talked to my buddy that's a diesel mechanic yesterday at ford and he did some research on the engine tick... Found some tsb on it but the bad news.... It's normal! In a nutshell it's the breaking in/wear of the engine internals and it's present in all diesels (7.0,6.0,etc) however the new trucks are so quiet you can actually hear the breaking in "tick"....
you should get your buddy to recheck his tsb's, perhaps he would like to add the one where ford helped to address the conern which is the hp fuel pump causing the tic, its lessend with a calibration update. However it is still normal to hear noise on an engine.

The tsb your showing is and old tsb, which has merit with the fact moving parts can make noise, but leaves out important information.

bottom line is i would not get my panties in a bunch nor have a heading of " BAD NEWS " when your incorrect if your saying ford had done nothing to address possible noise concerns.

#9 ·
you should get your buddy to recheck his tsb's, perhaps he would like to add the one where ford helped to address the conern which is the hp fuel pump causing the tic, its lessend with a calibration update. However it is still normal to hear noise on an engine.

The tsb your showing is and old tsb, which has merit with the fact moving parts can make noise, but leaves out important information.

bottom line is i would not get my panties in a bunch nor have a heading of " BAD NEWS " when your incorrect if your saying ford had done nothing to address posible noise concerns.
:ford:

#11 ·
No kidding. Thanks for the post OP

#13 ·
Who are you sonic? If I paid 65k for a brand new truck, it would upset me that I would have to listen to a tic;but I'm anal about these things. I would think all you had to do was explain that there is an updated tsb.

Do you actually drive a psd? Just wondering.

"riddle me this"... This is NOT being a prick?

#18 ·
I will answer you in point form:

- Some who clearly knows more the the op and his tech buddy put together.

- The tic been addressed, the tsb is just saying that normal noises are just that normal. However if there is a reason for concern then it has to be addressed. For example if you accelerate hard and hear a whoosh type noise from the engine its probably the turbo, now let say you stomp on it hard and hear a big screetching/rattle then that would have to be addressed.

- Psd? so its that what the cool kids say now adays? Sounds like your trying to match the dodge guy's " cummings "

To answer you question, yes i do.

- actually i was being serious, there is no egt sensor to read egt's like on a 6.4, so unless he would like to pay $25g for a new engine its a relavant question. I'm pretty sure a melted and or cracked piston will tick more then what the tsb suggests is in the " normal " range.

#14 ·
He has a 6.4 and doesn't know what he is talking about... And there's no way to prove who the tech is that gave me the tsb since I'm not saying his name I only say my buddy the diesel tech, which he is, how else would I have gotten the tsb to post UNLIKE YOU!!! and I will get him to send me the updated tsb to repost since you were oh so kind to inform all us that actually drive a 6.7 and have the annoying tick that is BAD NEWS that we just have to deal with because there is no fix.... Even what you said as a "fix" just quitens it, not eliminate!

#19 ·
I will respond in point form:

- I don't have a 6.4.

- I clearly know what i am talking about.

- I'm not trying to play hero by posting tsb's. The tsb is only relevant if you actually have that concern in the first place.

Since you think i know nothing i will summerize why your getting your panties in a bunch for nothing.

The tic is the hp fuel pump switching between control modes (so yes not a big deal at all) So the calibration just softens the switch over. For ####s and giggles ask your buddy what im talking about, im sure he can explain it to you.......... or can he :evil

#15 ·
Sonic blue must be georgec's alias... Hahaha

#16 ·
Lmfao ya they must be brothers or cousins!!! Hahaha

#20 ·
I will respond in point form:

-your still being a prick

-i never questioned your knowledge

-"psd" IS how the cool kids say it; tell your friends.

#22 ·
#23 ·
1. If you've heard the tick it does not sound normal.
2. Confidentially agreement? Lol you're a fool/tool.
3. I didn't even own my 6.7 and I was concerned about the noise as I needed the truck to work. If I didn't have the truck then I couldn't make money. I made it to 20k mi and traded it for a '10 mitsubishi fuso. Granted mine was a plagued cab chassis.

#25 ·
LOL i agree and thanks man!! i have talked to the same diesel tech about what the dbag thinks he knows and he said that dude is an idiot and dont know what hes talking about... among a few other choice words.... i also have talked to a couple other techs at other dealerships about it and they say no fix either.... and i agree there have been several TSB posted on here along with "info we arent supposed to know" who cares, we are all trying to help each other out and gain knowledge, not be haters...

#27 ·
This whole thing is great. Another lose lose situation for Ford. They tried to make the vehicles have less NVH so the customers will be happy and all they do is make problems for themselves. If the engines sounded like a damn 7.3 or 5.9 cummins then you guys would never hear these noises.

And to the haters that claim they ain't hatin and there is no such thing check out FMCDEALER.com for your confidentiality waiver. Not really signed in person like a contract but you agree to the terms and conditions with your logging in.

#36 · (Edited)
No disrespect I think these new psd are awesome. But if Ford would have not tried to make them so quiet and allow engine noise like a 7.3 you wouldn't be able to hear the tick. Just a thought kinda like how the tritons have little to no motor noise. just my .02

just saw a guy who said this earlier.

#39 ·
Tsb's are the same, unless its for specific concerns related to climate, or differing safety features.

As for you next question, you do realize its a global world correct? Vehicles and components of vehilces are made all over the world. A 6.7 injector is made in two different countries, niether of which is Canada or the US.

For ####s and giggles you should go look at your vin of any of your vehilces its only built in the usa if it starts with 1. Canada is 2. etc. If you've owned any f150 or fords with a gas engine then its more then likely powered by canada.

Personally i'm not sure if your comment about the auto industry is a dig or a compliment, as i can still remember when a couple large auto manufacurers would have went belly up unless both governements did not bail them out. (yes Canada lent them money too). Not sure but i'm thinking those who had stock in dodge and gm would have rather had it in some other industry.

#40 ·
*The common exhaust leak point on 6.7's is from the exhaust pressure sensor tube.

*map sensor for $10 alex.

confidentiality? really? If they were so sensitive to Ford, why would AllData have your TSB's in it?

Get over yourself Sonic Blue. I've gotten along with you and agreed with you in the past, but no post you make, is usually relevant to the thread itself. All your posts seem to try and make you feel bigger and better than every other person/tech out there. I have to tell you most ford technicians I've met (not all), don't have #### for knowledge on their own motor as compared to a lot of individuals I have been willing to meet.

Never worked on a Ford that didn't start with 1FT. Not saying there not out there.

And although canada may have bailed out auto makers. They didn't bail out papa ford huh?

Have a good day Sonic Blue. If you learn to be a little more respectful and not try to stir #### in every thread by telling people they have #### for brains people might start paying attention to you, and maybe, just maybe you might get your 10 seconds of online fame one day.

#41 ·
So where is the tsb then if all data has it?

I'm guess you must not have worked on many f150's then if you have not seen one with a 2f. btw all lightnings (you know fords fastest production pickup that they ever built) were all built in canada including the engine.

10 seconds of fame, lol. i don't remember starting the thread nor capitilizing any of the words to try and grab attention. I only stated the fact that people were getting there panties in a bunch over a tsb that states that engines make noise. Kind of like how coffee cups state " Hot " guess i should stop pointing out the obvious.

#44 ·
I'm trying to understand why this is a Sticky.

In the beginning folks complained these engines were too quiet. They wanted to hear diesel sounds. In fact the piezo injectors with all their pulses helped quiet the engine.

Then folks complained the engine didn't get good enough fuel economy. The above mentioned injectors quieted the engine and improved economy but apparently not enough.

Maybe if the folks who bought these trucks that didn't really need a work truck had bought an Eco Boost F-150 instead, they would be happier.

You can't please Cry Babies.

#45 ·
whose being a cry baby? its a sticky because there was a flood of posts about people having the engine tick and i was trying to help out posting a tsb and giving some info about it so there wasnt 10 threads a week about the "tick" the question i dont know is why some of the ignorant & non informative posts havent been cleared up & locked really...

#46 ·
ALSO note, I have noticed that the engine tick lessens and pretty much dissapears when Im near the next oil change and by the time the light comes on its totoally gone for the most part.... put some fresh oil in there, tick is back.... weird!!! and mine even still does it with full synthetic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.