Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Problems with door locks, auto lights, etc....HELP

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  dragrazor 
#1 ·
I realize this isn't a much talked about problem/subject on PSN but maybe somebody out there can tell me what to do and how to go about fixing my issue. My truck was previously a stolen vehicle before I aquired it. Since then, I've always had a problem with my door locks. When I shut the drivers door it says on my dash that the door is still open and the lights will stay on until I start driving and they shut off. This only happens a handful of times. Sometimes I get lucky and it acts normal. Sometimes does it with the passenger door but not the rear doors. Also, under the options to change the light delay and the auto headlights it says "data error" so it wont let me change the options. When I shut the door and press the lock button on the key fob sometimes the interior lights wont shut off and I'll have to open the door back up and close it. This works sometimes but not without some persistence......None of this never bothered me until just recently. It's starting to get pretty annoying now. Is there a way I can reset the VSM or buy a new one? Thanks in advance for any input/help!!

#2 ·
Uh, I will have to do a ilttle searching, but Im guessing it has to do with the latch mechinism not recognizing it is latch. Im sure there is a sensor or magnet (or something) that triggers this. You would think that it might have been jarred during the theft, even though most theives will steal these vehicle by jarring the actual key hole, in under 3 seconds. If the latched door is not recognized, your computer will show an error when trying to program... IDK

Like I said, just a shot in the dark. I would have to do some googl'in

#3 ·
Thats exactly what I'm doing right now. Looked at a ton of sights from a Google search and I can't seem to find any solutions. Someone suggested it had something to do with my vehicle security module. If I could just buy a new one of these and install it myself that would be great. Almost tempted to take it to the stealership and let them figure it out. Kind of hesitant though since the only one that is local is pretty much useless when it comes to technical knowledge.

off subject......where did you purchase your f350 rear blocks from?? What did you have to get?

#4 ·
I found them in the classified section, then had new ubolts made at a shop 1 inch longer than my stocks. Truck now sits 1/4" low in rear with 2.5" spacers in front.

#5 ·
Take it to the stealer ship and pay the 85$ fee for them to find out. I bet it is in the locking mechinism, or you have wire loose on the reylay for it.... I do not think it is the security module you would have more issues than that like doors not unlocking or truck not starting after disarm.

#7 ·
I have a security module on my 06, but its a dealership add. I just adjusted sensitivity on it last week.

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going outside right now to take my door panel off and see if I can find anything out of place or loose. If no luck, I guess it's going to be a trip to the stealership. I'll post back up to let you know what happens.

#9 ·
UPDATE: Went outside and took my door panel off. Didn't find anything unusual or out of place. Sprayed the lock mechanism down with WD-40. Seems like it helped out. Now when I open the drivers door the odometer displays and the interior/cargo lights turn on like they're supposed to. Same thing when I hit unlock button on my key fob, it unlocks and all the lights turn on. A lot better than before when this would only happen every once in a while. Still running into the issue with my auto locks and auto lamp option in the information center. Still says "DATA ERROR" when I switch to these options to adjust them. Anyone know how I can go about fixing this?? Would a simple disconnect of the batteries help out? Again, any responses/help is appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.