Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Still dies after hpop replaced

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  toolmangary 
#1 ·
Truck is an o5. It came in because it was dying after it got hot. I air tested it several times with the valve covers and the hpop cover off. I couldn't find a leak, I also took the plugs out of rails and checked the orings. The FICM is also holding 48v all the time. The hpop is new and I put new orings and screen on the ipr. I drove it about 15 miles today and it shut off and would not restart. It would only build 220psi of oil. Does this sound like a bad ipr? It has no codes for icp either it does have one for egr but that's it.

#5 ·
With only 220 psi of ICP its not going to start. How are you closing the IPR when you air pressure test the HPO system?

#8 ·
Thats the way I do it, I did read someware not to energize the IPR for more than 2 minutes, IDK. What I do is pressurize the HPO system with shop air till you get the oil out, you will hear the the change, then close the IPR, you will hear the air stop if you do not have a leak. I would try that and see what you get.

#10 ·
Just check the connector on the truck with a test light and wire it the same way, thats what I did.

#12 ·
ok, how did you find it was only putting out 220psi? gauge or voltmeter? my guess would be ipr and maybe the copper washer on the injectors. what is the fuel pressure? you have to be careful about hitting the ipr with 12volts. I believe this' normal voltage is 5 volt from the ecm.

#15 ·
I just seen a No Start 7.3 with ICP code P1283 and 150 PSI of ICP, ended up being the PCM. I followed the flow chart from Alldata for that code, did the voltage and resistance tests and when I got to the end of the test it said to replace the PCM. I could make it run with that harness I made to put 12v to the IPR valve, so I knew the engine was OK and it was a electrical/PCM problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.