Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mazda 2.3l turbo diesel build

56K views 204 replies 47 participants last post by  vanderchevy18 
#1 ·
Ok. So I know this isn't a Powerstroke.... But it is an engine that came in ford rangers!!! Also, the Mazda is just a rebadged ford ranger!!.... Well most of them are. This one was pre ford.... Anyway, its a 1987 Mazda B2600i. Its an independent frond suspension 4x4 with a 5 speed manual. The entire engine was completely torn down and rebuilt prior to being dropped in the truck. Same goes for the clutch and transmission, including resurfacing the flywheel. Even the injection pump was rebuilt.

Mods so far are: American racing rims, 31x10.5 Mickey Thompson MTZ's, cd player, turned up pump, cone filter intake, 3 1/2" straight pipe, electric fan, and a couple other little things. I'm also in the middle of building my bumpers.

I'm going for an off road look and performance to match it.

Future mods: intercooler, compound turbos, turned up pump, 4" stack, finish the bumpers, rocker panel rock sliders, bucket seats, air conditioning, paint job, miscelaneous interior mods, and bushwhacker fender flare cutouts. Oh, and the most important thing I need...... Turn signals! Lol!

Its a work in progress but I only have about $5k into the whole thing so far and on last fill up it got 37mpg!!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Does it run pretty good or is it kinda gutless? And Sweet Build BTW, Ive always wanted a ranger diesel but could never find one.

#3 ·
Yeah they are pretty rare. I've already had offers for just the motor for what I've spent on the whole thing.

Its pretty gutless under 10psi right now. Part of the problem is the gearing and tires. Its geared so low, I can hit 70 mph in 4th before I really need to shift. Since you can't find gears for it..... ANYWHERE... I'm going to make it power through the crappy gearing. Over 10-15psi its a little hoss though. That's one of the reason I want to compound it. I only want to hit about 20-25psi and it can do that now if I rev it pretty hard under load. What I want is for it to come on a little earlier. I saw a guy that hit 9 psi just revving it a little in neutral with compounds. I want an instant 20psi, then gate the $hit out of it so it stays at 20-25psi all the way through the rpms.

#4 ·
Oh, and I'm thinking I'll just rhino line the whole entire truck. Everything. The bed, undercarriage, floorboards, bumpers, engine bay... even the outside of the truck. A rhino liner for a paint job. Then I could beat the living hell out of it and not care.

#5 ·
Macco in fayetteville rhino lined a nissan. Might have some pics somwhere.
Someone should have gears.....japan etc.

I always wanted to compound a pair of stockers with baby turbos on my sd.
But I wonder if a sd turbo would be sized for the mazda as the big boy.

#7 ·
Nah. Already thought about a stock sd turbo. Got a couple sitting in the garage. Problem is the mounting and oil feed and return. It doesn't matter anyway because it'll be too big. I need at biggest a gt35....... I think. :hehe:

Stock power is a whopping, spine tingling, incredible 86hp! :hehe: Thats pretty good considering every other 4 cylinder diesel of its time was around 50. The prior ranger diesel was a 2.2l perkins. It was like 53hp if i remember right. I'm hoping for around 150 when I'm done. I have read where somebody got almost 200 out of one. Never could find any info on it though. These things actually scream. Their stock rev limiter was set to like 5500rpm or so.

Hey Nate. What did your old 2.3l ranger put out hp wise? Also what turbos did you go with?

#8 ·
Still got that nos kit? 225 and use an e99 turbo thst is almost a gt35.....lol

#10 ·
A big upgrade is to swap in toyota axles. I think a really cool thing about it is the fact it has independent front suspension and I would lose it if I did that. I don't know. Its still in the early stages of the build.

#13 ·
Look at the first page of this thread, there are pictures of both the engine and truck.

#15 ·
I used the Stock turbo on the manifold and then used a turbo from a mitsubishi Lancer for the Atmosphere. They are too close in size in my opinion, but it worked for what I was doing. I also used an intercooler from a 2.3 turbo mustang. The biggest problem that I had was the manifold turbo compressor wheel. They are not really impressed with having boost forced in the inducer. The fins fold over flat against the wheel and then its game over. If I was you I would find another option on both chargers. What I used worked, but it was far from optimal.

My truck had 3.73 gears in it and a five speed, it was an animal. I don't know what gears yours has, but I never had a problem with take off power. the 35MPG was pretty sweet also.

There is a screw in the back of the pump, its a real PITA, but if you mark where it is now, and then take it out, you can cut the collar off with a die grinder and get some more out of her that way. Just make baby steps, there is a point of no return and it can take off on you and never come back... Bad things happen...

My screw was buried as far as it would go, and I also had the pump crammed against the head to get as much timing out of it as I could.

I would say realistically that mine was maybe 110-120 HP when I was done, but a far cry from 150RWHP. However they are torque monsters and they will also rev to the moon with no problem.

Probably one of the most fun trucks I've owned.

#16 ·
Another thing that I just noticed is the intake manifold on yours is way sweeter that the one on the Ford! It has better and longer runners that mine had.

Another thing you can do is gut the AFC on top of the pump and plug the boost line that goes to it. That will give you more fuel on the bottom and better take off.

#17 ·
dude i would kill for that truck. Back in high school i had a datsun diesel that was NA and a 5 speed, it would knock down 40's pretty routine and had the absolute coldest AC you'll ever find. Being a young DA i destroyed it, looking back i wished i would have taken a little better care of it.

#19 ·
I've pretty well decided I'm going to swap toyota axles under it to get better gearing.

Other than turn signals, the problem I'm working through right now it the pump is off timing. After it sets for a night it loses prime and I have to use ether. I need to take it back to the guy that rebuilt the pump to get it right.

Dude. Nate you are awesome! I'm new to this whole bosch ve pump thing so I'll need some help.

I have an intercooler. Just gotta put it on.

When I get some more time I'll work on it again and keep y'all updated.

#20 ·
That is so cool !

Ive always wanted a little turbo diesel something. Pondered a 4BT in a 88-90 Bronco II

#21 ·
Yeah I kinda wish it was a 4bt. This is just really rare and has roots in a ford truck so I think it adds cool points. :hehe: I wish Nate was closer. I would just give it to him and say make it roar! Lol!

#22 ·
Haha, no doubt. Should be a fun unique project though.

i think a GT3071 would be perfect for your atmosphere turbo. Buddy of mine ran one on his jetta. Thing pulled like a raped ape up top.

#23 ·
Ok let's hear some charger suggestions. Starting from scratch and tossing out the oem charger.

#24 ·
Here's a pic of the intake I made. I utilized an old 95 Powerstroke intake boot I had laying around. I also drilled a hole and put a plug in it for easy access to spray ether in the mornings.

Next things on the list- gut the boost reference fueling valve and turn up the fuel screw a half a turn till I get my compounds built, and get some sound dampener with a sticky back side to coat the valve cover. GAAWWD THAT THING IS NOISY!!!!

#27 ·
For a while at least. :hehe:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.