Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hmm, what could it be?

3K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  bustednuckles 
#1 ·
Ive noticed that on cold starts it cranks like it normally would but I get a skip as is im losing high pressure oil pressure for a quick second then it turns right over. Warm starts are perfectly normal and no skip. It still makes the skip if I park the truck a 9am and go back to the truck at 3:30pm. It wont do it warm or if its been sitting for 3-4 hours, and I noticed it only started doing this after I did my 03 turbo swap.

I've been running 5w40 T6 Rotella for the past 3k miles over a course of 3 months, the second I switched to this oil from 10w30 T5 rotella I noticed the truck misses when accelerating until its up to a certain temp. Any ideas of what the hell could be leading to this? I honestly think its this crap oil thats giving me problems. I have 2,000 miles left on my interval, does anyone think its just a case of crappy oil?

Here is a video showing perfect warm start and how it usually starts unless its cold or been sitting for a while. Im getting some stiction when cold started too, need to add rev x this interval and switching to mobil 1 or valvoline premium blue extreme

#6 ·
I have never myself done the ICP pigtail, ill look into that. Ill go start it up right now and see if it does it, its been sitting for at least 4 hours right now, if no dice, it will definitely do it in the morning

EDIT:

heres the video, looks like it sat long enough to show some effect, not quite what its like in the mornings on a cold start, but it did crank a little longer than usual just now. Sorry for retarded talking... i get to easily distracted hha

#5 ·
I run T6 in mine without any issues other than the oil smells funny hahah.

#8 ·
seems normal to me so far..iirc ford says up to 5 secs is acceptable? correct me if im wrong

#9 ·
no im not worried about building low pressure oil pressure, i have a low pressure oil pressure gauge on my pillar, no issues with building up...

I want to know why im having this "miss" or skip when the truck is cold... it sounds like a high pressure oil leak somewhere, but it only does it cold... perfect warm starts.
It started doing this right after i switched to the 03 turbo, so I know its not normal and I dont want to over look anything.

I've been running 5w40 T6 Rotella for the past 3k miles over a course of 3 months, the second I switched to this oil from 10w30 T5 rotella I noticed the truck misses when accelerating until its up to operating temp. Any ideas of what the hell could be leading to this? I honestly think its this crap oil thats giving me problems. I have 2,000 miles left on my interval, does anyone think its just a case of crappy oil?

This is annoying, and my low pressure oil pressure gauge flutters when it misses when accelerating when cold

#14 ·
I have a SLIGHT stiction issue, Ill be adding rev x again at my next oil change, but it isnt to worry about though.

I havent had a chance to check ICP as I dont have a good scanner yet, IM going to see if I can borrow my friends AE to get some readings.

my LPOP gauge is tapped in the oil filter cap, I notice this flutters when it misses while accelerating cold.

Ill have to investigate the ICP harness tomorrow if it ever stops raining

#15 ·
I have the same issue...I run just switched to the T5 as well...its been getting cooler down here and I notice it misses just the slightest bit at 2k rpms when its cold. I think I need to switch back to the T6 oil...

#18 ·
Yeah I think thats what it is. I just switched over to this thinking it would be better..guess thats what I get for thinking. I guess I will be switching back or trying the valvoline blue oil. Idk yet.

#26 ·
Sorry for the hi-jack, but mines been pretty slow to build pressure lately. First start of the day is the worst. All kinds of lifter clatter and runs rough breifly untill pressure builds and then smooths out. Went out and checked it this morning after reading this thread last night and my filter housing was pretty dry and didnt hear any oil draining down when I unthreaded the cap. The anti drain back valve seems to be moving freely so I swiched back to OEM cap. I had the billet cap from NUC motorsports installed. We'll see how she acts tomorrow morning. I also ordered a new anti drain back valve from ford. I'll pick that up monday and see if it helps. Can anyone tell me the procedure for changing out that valve? Thanks in advance and sorry for the hi-jack.

#27 ·
I didnt get a chance to take a look at the filter this morning, I will do that tomorrow, same old start this morning. I did just remember this, and the taking out the oil filter seemed to have triggered something.

When I was doing my turbo swap, I had to leave midway through the swap and my friend (who mind you works on these things everyday) removed the fuel bowl/oil filter housing to swap the turbos... not how I would have done it but doing it himself thats how he likes to do it.

Is there a chance he messed something out while he had the housing out?

#28 ·
anti-drainback just has 3 tiny tiny plastic legs and a spring, yank it out and stuff it in. the legswill break off on the old one, have tiny long needle nose pliers near

#29 ·
10-4 Thank you!

#31 ·
$10-$11? Not very much at all.

#32 ·
I figured thanks,

well I just pulled my NUC billet cap and it was still 1/4 full of oil and the filter was dripping wet with oil on the lower portion.

I cranked her up this morning and no skip, nothing at all here is a video. It was sitting for 12 hours I was sure it would do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.