Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2012 wheels, WTF Ford?!

17K views 83 replies 33 participants last post by  eshpile 
#1 ·
So i was in the market for a new truck last week (ended up with a LML) and while i waa Ford shopping i noticed their new wheels. All sizes have chrome cladding!!! If i was going to buy me a new king ranch that has been offering aluminum since day one and now is chrome cladding, I'd walk away. Sorry but that's a deal breaker for me. Not just the 20's but the 17's and 18's were same way. Wtf?!?!?

#2 ·
GM always has the nicest stock wheels I think

#4 ·
Thats odd because I know the dealer that I bought mine from has a few 2012s and they had the same wheels mine had on it which is the 18" 5 spoke with the gray inserts??

#5 ·
No offense but really because of the wheels!?!? You can change the wheels on a truck. And you can change the front end on a GM from IFS to a straight axle but at what cost. I'll never buy the GM product because of the IFS. I've seen way to many of them that squeak and moan at any turn and bump to buy one of them.

I hope you enjoy your LML and they are pretty trucks but I think I'd find more of a flaw to complain about then the wheels on the Ford.

#6 ·
Sorry let me clarify, the wheels aren't the reason I ended up with a LML... It was mainly because myself and Ford weren't on the same page in price. I still have my two fords, but threw a LML in the mix. I've missed my LMM since traded it for my new 6.7.

#7 ·
i was about to call you an idiot for turning down a perfectly good truck that you could trade the wheels off of and put on a nice aftermarket set..... on the other hand i wouldn't have the better half of an government motors product shoved up my worst enemy's a$$ either

#8 ·
I have no chrome clad on my truck (lariat) nor did the KR I looked at. In fact not one Ford I looked at had them. Besides the XL and xlt. I'm on the west coast. I doubt that matters.

#14 ·
No 6.7L for me.
The 11' Silverado is an LT extended cab gasser that I use in the winter to plow with, and I'll be replacing my 6.4L with either a new 13' GM of if Ford decides to move into this century, a new F-350 with a hopefully improved 6.7L with some fuel rail volume.

#11 ·
Ian, im wondering the same thing. Here on the west coast he would have to be a directional driller or a drilling consultant. Somebody who has to buy a new rig every two years for the write off.

Anyways, I havent really noticed the wheels. I like the GM product right now, i cant lie. My wife's yukon is plush on the inside, and i really enjoy riding in it. I know the HD's are the same way. But Ive had more than a handful of friends with the IFS, have their front ends collapse right in front of my eyes. Ive spent a few nights helping them fix them so they could get to work the next day.

As far as the price goes... I would pay 65k for a new F350, if I had it.

#12 ·
weird, i know 2 guys with duramaxs around here ones a 06 i belive with 41s and it tows often(has tuner, bigger turbo and injectors/built tranny), and drives the crap out of it and its never had a issue and another with a 2010 (thats modded but un touched front end)he launches in 4wd, does doughnuts and burnouts everywhere with 6'' lift and 35s, takes it hunting regularly and works on a farm and has never had a issue either...i just dont get it :doh:

#16 ·
Yeah the Chevys are nice for about the first 50,000 miles then everything on the inside starts to rattle and shake. So much cheap plastic for anyone who buys a new Chevy have fun with a out dated interior cheaper than cheap, and don't put your elbows on the bed rails or they will dent.

#17 ·
I think a lot of what guys are saying on hear is that Chevy's front ends will break without warning if you drive them hard without upgrades. Where a Ford front end wears out then needs replaced. As far as wheels go well if that's the deciding factor well then they must be pretty equal in your eyes.

#20 ·
I don't think finding good aftermarket wheels is that easy. High quality load rated wheels are only a small fraction of the market and very expensive. Most are Chinese crap that I would not care to risk mine or anyone else's life with. They are cheap though... I don't understand why exploded rims aren't seen with all the power sent through these delicate looking Chinese cast rims. I guess I don't know squat.

#23 ·
ive heard more problems with ford engines, doesnt mean the truck is #### though, id deff look into a chevy as a next truck as they dont have the same boring looking body/platform sence 1999, hate on me all u want but a few "suspension" issues arnt that bad compared to major engine issues, i am a ford guy all i have owned is fords but i got a thing for the last 2 generations of duramaxs. but i also wouldnt mind a tuned 6.4 so thoes r the 2 trucks id look at when i want a new truck, but i dont see myself gettin rid of my truck anytime soon.

#26 ·
Man, a lot has developed in this thread sonce this afternoon! When I said front end collapsing, I was talking about tie rods. It is funny, I dont get how some guys can doo some wild things with their trucks, and others can get away with jumping the throttle while pulling out of the mcdonalds driveway.

Mind you, im not saying the front end is the reason i didnt buy a GM. Yes, it is a factor, and a rather big one, but its not the deciding reaosn theeres not a GM product in the driveway right now.

#27 ·
I have a 2011, and had a chance to drive a new chevy for a week with a Duramax, fully loaded crew cab, mind you it was a $64k truck and my F350 is fully loaded and had a $60k sticker, and to me it didn't compare to the Ford.. The interior is cheap (looks like a Malibu), the navigation was crap, back up camera was foggy, cab feels cramped (no where near the room the Ford has). Truck had 2400 miles on and it rattled like crazy, plus I hate the styling of them.

My F350 rides better than that truck did. The Allison is a strong point but I don't feel like it ran better than my 6.7, and I know with a bobcat behind it my 2011 Ford definitely felt better through out the power band..

#28 ·
I wouldn't compare either of these trucks. The Ford (IMO) is worn out and dated. The current GM is about to go bye-bye, and will be replaced by an all new, ground up model. One of my close friends owns a Chevy store here in town, and he has told me that GM is keeping an air tight lid on the 13MY truck, and even the dealers have no clue what's coming.

#29 ·
Nothing exciting for work, just each truck serves a purpose.
Im A Plant terminal operator for a major oil company. that is about all I can say.
I do miss consulting tho.maybe one day in the future ill go back to that.

#30 ·
i hear the new GM truck susposed to look like the 1989 chevy truck which i disnt see as that great of a stylin but thats me. every one of the big is has kinda of a outdated look but Dodge represents that well they have that same damn grill style on every freaking car since 94 . i think its time to update alittle bit. and i personally think ford should bring back a vartion of the old OBS body with stylin cues from every area with real wheels too. Alcoas are sexy for stock wheels

#35 ·
Too big to fail... BS if you ask me.

Anyways, OP... I dont think the factory 20" wheels look that bad. They are chrome clad now that I take a closer look, but as far as appearance goes, I dont see anything wrong with em.

#37 ·
I like how Ford keeps with the same styling. It gives them something to be known for, and plus who likes to go out and spend 50 grand on a new truck to have it be outdated in 2 years when the new one comes out? Not me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.