Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 Broken Connecting Rod

10K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  04 hotrod 
#1 ·
I have a 6.0 2004 F-450 4X4 that is dead in the water. My mechanic said I broke a connecting rod. How screwed am I? What needs to happen to get it fixed and how much? What are my options to get the truck back on the road with a tight budged.

#4 ·
Depends on what all you tore up in there.

#5 ·
Did it hydo-lock? This is not going to be a cheap fix.

#6 ·
Well you could be looking at replacing a rod and piston, block, crankshaft, valves, head, egr cooler because of hydro-lock situation, etc. I Don't mean to be blunt and scare you but these are things to consider. It's hard to say without seeing it. Determine what it needs and the cause of the problem and see if it's worth repairing. You may need to visit the local junk yard for a engine to rebuild. Best of luck to you. Hope you get it fixed!

#8 ·
Find a running motor from a parts yard. Stud it while its out and delete egr. You more then likely will be money ahead in the long run.

#9 ·
^^^:whs:^^^

#11 ·
I replaced the heads and injectors after noticing a skip in the engine and loosing a little bit of coolant. Ford told me my old heads were cracked. Shortly after that I was hearing a weird noise, Ford told me that I may have a rod problem. 300 feet down the road from Ford...dead. I wasn't overloading the engine or anything. I would say it had normal use.

#13 ·
Did you buy the truck used? You say you drove it normal but that doesn't mean the previous owner did. Again what mods have you done to the truck performance wise? I would say hdyo lock or if bought used the last owner drove the s@#t out of it. Cheapest fix will probably be finding a running used motor from a totalled truck.

#15 ·
i had a connecting rod brake on me. it took out the front two cylinder skirts and toasted the crank shaft. needless to say it was cheaper to get a used engine than it was to sleave the block. this is why i am doing the build on the truck now. and when my rod came apart i wasnt bagging on the truck either. but about 3 months before that my cousin put a 400hp nitrous back fire threw the engine. then it had a slight tick. the tick was the streched conecting rod bolt slapping around. but if a rod came apart just get a long block from a wrecker and stud it with the egr delete. unless u want to spend tones of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.