Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What kinda PSI are ya'll running??

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  nitrogen 
#1 ·
What kind of psi are ya'll running on your turbos at cruising speed or when you get on it?? My stock turbo hits 29 at full throttle and 10 crusing at 65 on a flat surface. Is this too much?

#2 ·
10 psi is a little too high IMO to be cruising around empty at 65mph. Should be more like 5psi or at the most 7 psi. It should be around 7-8 or less psi at 70 mph IMO as well.

#3 ·
I was thinking the same thing, what would cause it?

#4 ·
You know I am not sure exactly. I had the same problem and still may I am not sure. I tore my truck down to do head studs because I wasnt sure if they were blown or not. Well my head gaskets werent blown and I am finishing putting the truck back together so we'll see if I still have the same problem. I noticed that it did it when ambient Temps got over 80F. I am thinking it is a sensor that was dirty. I know things can get screwy when sensors are dirty. I would start with MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF sensor, MAP sensor, and EBP sensor. Hopefully more folks will chime in.

#8 ·
Right 7-8 psi while cruising at ~2000 rpms, which is just over 70 mph on stock tire and gears, is what I would say it should be. But TEN?? (10 psi) at only 60-65 mph with stock turbo and injectors?? That seems high to me and I would be very curious to know what would cause that.

#9 ·
If you're really worried about it, pull the turbo, pull the turbine housing and clean it out really well. It's probably time to do it anyways.

Also, pull your Exhaust Back Pressure sensor and blow down through the tube with a blow nozzle to make sure it's not restricted.

#10 ·
Can you take the turbo off an 04 without pulling the cab??

#11 ·
Yes you can remove the turbo without pulling the cab on any model superduty.

#12 ·
Honestly...you're worried about a boost reading that seems 2-3psi higher than you think it should be? I really wouldn't be worried about it. I have the same non vgt turbo Extended power had(64/71/70) and i'm seeing around 7-10psi cruising between 65-70mph depending how hot it is outside. A VGT turbo will stay spooled way better than a non vgt turbo. So for you to be at around 10psi while cruising at that speed, doesn't bother me one bit and seems fine to me.

#15 ·
Wouldnt give it a second thought. NOW............ when you start seeing 45-50 WOT on your stocker........ then worry.

#16 ·
tires and head wind can make a pretty big difference. when i added my toyo mts i see 10 psi runin empty all the time now. i can deffinatly see a head wind in egt and boost gauges also. My 2 cents.

#17 ·
Mine ran around 12psi on flat ground today, crusing at 70. Is that ok?

#19 ·
ground slope can be invisible to the eye and have a very significant effect on boost levels, likewise as has been noted so can wind. there are far too many unmeasured variables to get your knickers all knotted up over such a small boost variation. that said if anything i would suspect the turbo vanes are very slightly sticky. after a camping trip in the mountains with my truck it seemed to pull slightly less boost and not run the engine fan nearly as much.(much large hills with curves, so very many full throttle to full coasting cycles with lots of heat=vanes really got exercised)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.