Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Valvoline Premium Blue® Extreme Diesel Engine Oil

12K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  robs97z28 
#1 ·
I have had this oil in my truck for 10 months (8,000 miles). I also have the Rev-x additive in the oil. Really helped with the stiction issues that I was having. My question is, what kind of mileage or months should I expect to get out of this combination? What has been your experience with this? I know most recommend changing oil more frequently, but this was a very expensive combo that I want to get the most out of for economic reasons.

Thanks

#2 ·
with revx or with out:
Synthetic oil keep under 7,500 miles.
Standard oil, under 6,500miles.

I use an oil bypass filter, my first extended interval test was with mobil 1 5w-40. I got 8,000 miles out of it. It was not an dire need to be changed but it was ready. I am using it again and I hope that it looks a little better this 2nd time around.

#3 ·
I still do oil at 5k.
But my truck is always working with a daily weight of 12K.
Have you ever done a oil sample?

#4 ·
i only run 5w-40 synthetic in my truck...amsoil or valvoline. I only put about 5K miles on my truck a year...so i only change my oil once a year. I always use rev-x and i run an amsoil oil bypass also. I know many others change their oil at around 5K miles also even tho it has tested good and they run a oil bypass. Oil is cheaper than replacing parts, so i wouldn't run it over 7500 miles even tho it's been tested as still good.

#6 ·
If it's too expensive for you go back to dino. Synthetic isn't going to last THAT much longer. Injectors are too expensive to try to stretch your dollars that far.

#13 ·
Sorry bud, but that's just your opinion. I've ran alot of oils in my truck...rotella, schaeffer's, amsoil, valvoline, royal purple, mobil 1. And to be absolutly honest....not one of them stood out as being the best over the rest. I have amsoil in the truck now and it doesn't seem any better than the others i've ran.

#11 ·
:whs:

I run the Valvoline, didnt believe it at first but definitly worth the money I had ano problems running it, also ran it over 8k before I changed it. Runs smoother in my truck as well.

#12 ·
Changed the oil in my truck last night <actually had 9000 miles on it>. Had the lube guy at the plant run a viscosity test and check for foreign material. He said that the oil was nearing the end of it's life span and that it had no unusual foreign material. He recommended that I change this oil every 8-9000 miles, should not be a problem to go that long again.

#15 ·
I have an 06 F250 that I bought new.
I ran Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W-40 from 500 miles to 67,500. I stuck to a change interval of 7,500 religiously. I started seeing stiction issues about 50,000. From 70,000 to 80,000 I stuck to a 5,000 mile change interval and the stiction issues seem to have vanished.
My opinion has changed...I think an interval of 5,000 is best.

#16 ·
Have to agree with the 5k change. Is rather buy oil and filters than parts.

#17 ·
I do mine at 5k do to a daily weight of 12k lbs, the truck is always working.

#18 ·
I bought my truck used and ran Rotella dino until I got talked into trying Mobil Delvac. That's when my stiction issues started. I don't know that it was the Delvac or just coincidence, but I don't think that I will try Delvac again. Have been real pleased with the Valvoline, noticed immediate results when I put it in. I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, so I think that I will stick to 6000-7000 mile oil intervals.

Someone mentioned in another thread that they always found metal shavings on their drain plug. The only time that I found metal shavings is when I ran Mobil 1 in a chevy truck that I once had. Got rid of that stuff quick and had no more issues.

#21 ·
ok yall so heres a question... popularity points to valvoline blue, which i understand and am making the switch from mobile 1 here soon. But what is prefered 5w40 or 15w40? Temp wise for me in VA atleast 15 is reccommended for the 6.0Ls but i know a lot of guys around here run 5. I ran 5w40 once (granted it was scheaffers :doh:) and I had bad experiences, so im tempted to shy away from it again and stay with 15 when i go blue. what are yalls opinions?? is there any benifit to go 5 over 15 or is it just personal opinion?

#23 ·
Exactly I say personal perference. Our trucks injectors are actuated by oil pressure so some people say it is better to run 5W40 in cold weather because it is thinner. I live in Illinois and run 15W40 valvoline blue in my truck and haven't had any problems in over 130,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.