Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Performance mods for longevity

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  moonshiner 
#1 ·
Just bought the wife her very own F350 '04 6.0l... We got a screaming deal on the rig an im just looking to modify the common issues on this engine/truck before we get into trouble. I know very little about these engines but with a little research on this web forum an others ive heard the EGR have to be deleted... But who's kit should be bought and should a kit even be bought??...
Im not really looking at hot rodding the truck much, just make it run better for tye wife an possibly boost MPG...
All the help yall can offer would be stellar!
Thanks

#3 ·
The BEST place to start is with a monitoring device so you can see what your current engine parameters are. You need to be looking at Engine Oil Temps (EOT) and Engine Coolant Temps (ECT) to make sure the difference between the two is less than 15F when you are at normal operating temperature and cruising on flat ground at like 55 mph. This will tell you if your oil cooler is clogged and maybe getting ready to go out. As far as EGR deletes. You can do a full delete, but if you have emissions testing then I would recommend an upgraded egr cooler like one from either sinister or bullet proof diesel. Either way get the monitor like an Edge CS or CTS or a Scanguage II this way you can see where you are starting from and how future mods affect your engine. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
longevity list:

Head studs (arp)
Factory Head gaskets
egr delete (most are typical, i run a river city delete, sinster makes a nice kit)
coolant filter kit
some guages (or cs or cts monitor)
might look into the oil cooler rebuild (factory parts)
factory fuel regulator spring upgrade (blue spring upgrade)
maybe some 6.4 banjos
maybe an exhaust (more for sound than hp gain, but will help lower the egts)
You could also look into some tunes from eric at innovative, or matt at gear head....there are tons of tuners out there, just do some research on them.

#5 ·
longevity list:

Head studs (arp) $395 from browns diesel
Factory Head gaskets International may have them cheaper
egr delete (most are typical, i run a river city delete, sinster makes a nice kit)
coolant filter kit
some guages (or cs or cts monitor) scan gauge Or the original edge insight
might look into the oil cooler rebuild (factory parts)
factory fuel regulator spring upgrade (blue spring upgrade)
maybe some 6.4 banjos Or drill out the originals and remove the valve
maybe an exhaust (more for sound than hp gain, but will help lower the egts)
You could also look into some tunes from eric at innovative, or matt at gear head and quick tricks, that is the top 3....there are tons of tuners out there, just do some research on them.
STC update
Standpipes and dummy plug update.

For exhasut delete pipes or a full system works well. Delete pipes or system will drop ~200*
Delete pipes will not loses as much low end compared to the bigger systems, and egt drop difference is minimal.
The differences are sound and price for trucks under lets say 550hp

#7 ·
Well Oregon doesnt emmissions test diesels or at least not this year of them so I can delete my EGR and cat.
What is wrong with the oil cooler rebuild and why a filter?
Where would I get the fuel spring?
What will the 6.4 banjo's do for me?
Thanks!

#8 ·
Well Oregon doesnt emmissions test diesels or at least not this year of them so I can delete my EGR and cat. Just be aware that once you delete the egr, you will need to have a programs that will clear the code on the dash. I am pretty sure that if you get tunes from the suggested people, they will write in the program to clear that cod and check engine light on your dash.

What is wrong with the oil cooler rebuild and why a filter? after the egr delete, rebuilding the oil cooler will help better filter out particles that can lead to engine damage. Also the new oil cooler kits replace the screen as well, from a cloth type screen to a new metal stainless screen. The coolant filter will also help filter out your coolant, and keep harmful particles from getting into the motor and causing damage. You can search on the site and find out more about it. Im sure someone else can elaborate a little more about these two items

Where would I get the fuel spring? You can get the blue spring upgrade from ford, its the fuel regulator rebuild kit. It comes with all new gaskets, orings, and cover. as well as the spring. You only need the spring, but sicne you will have the other parts new, good idea to just rebuild the enire thing.

What will the 6.4 banjo's do for me? I saw the reccomendation of drilling out the 6.0 banjos, however for the cost of the 6.4 bajos (i think i paid somewhere around 15 bucks for the banjos and washers) i would spend the money. They help flow fuel better.

#12 ·
The 6.4 Banjo Bolt is really an over rated upgrade. Look at the hole feeding the Banjo fitting which looks to be about a 3/16" single hole. No matter how big the holes in the Banjo Bolt are you are still limited by what you can get through the fitting. You will get the same results just removing the check valve from the 6.0 Banjo Bolt.

I still believe getting rid of the G05 coolant and using ELC is a good step for keeping a healthy oil cooler.

#14 ·
So, is there one shop in particular that can hook me up with everything I need such as coolant kit, egr delete, and oil filter thing for a reasonable price?
Also just came from NAPA today an they have a dual filter head setup for "spin-ons" where one side is separate from the other, so in theory I could use one side for my coolant filtration and the other for an oil filter... yes... no.. may on this plan??
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.