Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DIY 58v FICM Mod

27K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  redjet 
#1 ·
Anyone tried this? I saw instructions and it does not seem too terribly difficult as long as you know your way around a board and can solder. Am I completely wrong? Really thinking about trying this, maybe this week.

#5 ·
anyone else have any productive input? I know that if you screw it up then its junk but hey...thats with everything. I am all about DIY. Kind of a "built not bought" philosophy, plus I guess I like seeing how things operate instead of just opening a box and pluggingit in / bolting it on.

So again, has anyone done this?

#10 ·
I just ordered all of the parts to attempt the 58v mod. I am not a professional solderer either. I will post results. Mine blew one of the FETs and the voltage was 46-49v cruising and always bouncing around. Give it a little more pedal and it dropped to 32v. Yanked it out and pulled it apart to find that MOSFET blew up. I ordered all 8 caps and 8 FETs. Forgot to order the 0805 size resistor 18kohm to adjust the power. I may just do the piggyback resistor mod because they are much easier to find locally.

#11 ·
I would enjoy doing this, but I would be too afraid to. I can just hear my wife now, if I effed up.

So would this still work if you get upgraded injectors? I want to get eventually 155 or slightly larger.

#12 ·
I took mine to work and had our electronics guy do it. he said the hardest part is soldering the new small resistor and removing the old solder with out damaging the board. I also had a hard time finding the exact resin to but back into the FICM. I ending up ordering the one specified in the manual and it cost 85.00 but the place i got it from normally doesnt do small orders... they helped me out.

#13 ·
Did you upgrade the rest of the components too? I'm having trouble locating all of the components. Some I can find, others are a min buy of 1000 pcs or out of stock or something along those lines. I'd love to try this, I've already fixed numerous stockers back to 48V.

#15 ·
Got most of the parts for my mod from element 14. I think the website is element-14.com. Can't remeber what I paid for everything but if I recall it was like $85. It's been 8 months since I did mine and not one problem. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.