Early 99 F550 7.3 Crank No Start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 AM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Early 99 F550 7.3 Crank No Start

First off this is a bone stock 7.3 Early 99 F550 120,000 miles. Roughly 6 months it started running rough, no cel but other then that was fine and tolerable. No problem with cold winter starts. Now with in the last 3 weeks it started puffing white smoke, not just on cold start up just regular driving. Consuming oil, very hard cold starts, loss of power, stalled a few time. As of last week would take about 1/4 mile to get to 25. Unplugged the map got full power but still running rough but use to it. So I plugged the map in left that alone, check the icp sensor to see if it change with it unplugged started to idle surged so I plugged it back it and it ran rough but had full power again. So everyday until it died would start it up, unplug the icp, to reset the values, plug it back in and would run under full power all day. Then finally 2 days later stalled and won't start now.

Fresh oil changes as regular rountine maintence rotella 15w40, new batteries (3 months ago), new alternator (same as batteries), glow plugs and relay (8 months ago), new fuel filter, air filter, map sensor, cam sensor, icp sensor from working candidate,quarter trick for uvch, new idm, switch ipr solenoid from a working candidate. Only thing I have really check with a snapon scanner was crank signal which is good, icp pressure signal was at 1900 psi while cranking, good battery voltage, fuel bowl fills up when energized, no smoke while cranking, wait to start light comes on, check fuse for fuel heater good, Unplugged icp sensor tried starting (no dice) wiggled ipr connector while cranking nope, I know ether is a no-no but will run only on ether, check fluid level in hpop inch from top. The only thing I just realize is I the idm I recently purchase my father just plugged it in to see if it would start, and I'm almost postive that has to be grounded to the body so definitely trying that tomorrow. What it seem like to me is the injectors aren't getting fuel, I know absolutely nothing about diesels.

. I'm at a loss, haven't got into the any electrical yet, that why I'm posting hopefully someone can help me out. I need this truck running it for my fathers business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: Early 99 F550 7.3 Crank No Start

Anyone???
Old 08-27-2011, 06:08 PM
losfinch
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Well, first off I have to comment that for someone who knows "absolutely nothing about diesels" I'd say you've at least done some reading up on what others know!

Bump!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:02 PM
goldiestroker944
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

im kinda leaning towards the IDM its in the driver side fender well im not much help on instalation (sp) but someone will come along thats more helpful...
Old 08-28-2011, 06:12 AM
southmike
Village Idiot
Member's Gallery

MAybe leaky orings in injectors, you changed and checked quite a bit....
One thing to note about either is the glow plugs can set them off

Idm could be an issue, as you have checked amd reserched quite a bit.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Yes this is my first diesel I have ever tackled, I work for a gm dealership but have only dealt with hybrids and gasoline engine, learning alot from this site and the people on here seem very helpful. Beside that, new idm from auto exchange, installed like factory. Still no start..... Next step use my noid light to test for injector signal.. Is it possible I have faulty pcm???
Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Alright hook a noid light up to left bank, no pulse coming from noid light. Unplugged the 9 pin connector from the outside of the valve cover and test for power (not sure if right), i found that the 4 outside pins (the bigger ones) are for the glow plugs, and the 5 smaller ones are for the injectors, so I tested for a pulse on each of the 5 while having someone crank it, no luck.. Switch pcm with a friends truck same results, tested my idm in friends truck, and my pcm for the hell of it. His truck ran fine with no issue. My truck was built 3/98, his 5/98 so both were early 99's. I'm at a lost what to look for?? Need some electrical advice
Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 AM
blueovaltech
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

previous posting by someone indicating injector o-rings is a likely thing to consider. what i would do next is get a value for your IPR & ICP readings when cranking and check voltage value. you need to see an IPR percentage somewhere around 10 % and an ICP value somewhere around 485 when cranking. voltage value on my NGS reads around .85 volts. if you do not have these ICP/IPR values you most likely have a breach in your high pressure oil system. then that problem has to be isolated to injector o-rings,HPOP pump, IPR sensor, IPR plug-in, wiring to the IPR plug-in are all at the top of the list of possibilities. hope this gets you going in a right direction.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

well tested injector harness following this site GB Remanufacturing - Tech Bulletin #103
2.9 across the board on both bank, and both bank open as listed. This test was measuring resistance from the idm harness with key off. Passed. I have no access to a scanner today so I will have to wait a few days. I'm really leaning toward injector orings now.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Rollbackpowerstroke
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Ok replaced the ipr assembly it self, turn the key fired up. Now I'm glad it runs now, but it runs exactly the same as before, greyish smoke ran for a good half hour, has a rough idle shakes bad inside the cab.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 101
'99 stroker, 00Sooperdew_t, 02bestroked, 1995f350, 2000 black 7.3, 99WHITESTROKE, adrenaline junkie, Bar-m.cattle, Bigred95pstroke, birdog, blueovaltech, Bushwakd, camaroicoc, cgp182, clp13294, copperhead99, Critical, cwprosser, d99, dbunyip, DEEREPULLER, Denver, DIEZEL7.3, downeaster8238, drochette, dubswyoming, Eford00, ElkBowHuntR, emc2, faceman, FlatbedStroker, Force2354, Garrett, gensenouit, goldiestroker944, greenmachine07, harryb84, hawgdoctor, Heywire77, HillbillyDeluxe99, hwrdbd, Ithumpwheniwalk, jason5599, jcbur, jello, jeremyroff, jkmcp45, John_DeereGreen, joness, joshua.a.rackley, jtbowen31, Kfiantago, kft, Kyle_KleinSS, lght1, losfinch, Luke909, manzos, Marty, Matt07, mattmankow, middlemanjw, mildot, Millerfarms, mrbleegs, mrgto, ms327711, Obspsd7.3, Ongeman, opieg01, pat@osp, PDEMICH, pipedobber, Powerjoke4life, PowerstrokeMudder82, PS1995, rd04mcmurray, Rhino16, RLSCOAL, Rollbackpowerstroke, Rollinthunder, rolsmojave3, Rusty 7.3, SD70M, sean lalley, SIC-E, simpleman, slick_fork, SmokeWithEveryStroke, southmike, Stroker96, sunny644, swvaexcavator, teevo66, th3, thecrazyhorse, Tim4, toddman35, TWIM, Tyrone393, vader's fury