Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4 Link Questions

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  TxFireman1972 
#1 ·
Alright, I know nothing about 4 links other then some of what I seen on here and other forums, but I still have some questions and I'm not trying to start a pissing match over whats better or who has a better product, I want to attempt this myself with the help of some friends. What I want to know is the angles of the 4 links in the front, does it matter? Do they have to connect to the radius arm brackets? Why can't the traction bars and 4 links mount to the same bracket in the middle of the truck. What difference does length of the bars make and so on and so on and so on. So if somebody could please explain this to me I would be thankful.

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful information and opinions.

PS Pictures are good helps me really see whats up.

#3 ·
More then likely if I get one it will be built not bought, I do need recommendations for do's and don'ts.

#5 ·
Other then I have no idea what I'm doing and only looking a pictures for a reference.

#6 ·
You do realize you have admitted you have no idea what you are doing and you still want to experiment/learn with the suspension on your vehicle??? If you mess up in the engine it can stop working, if you mess up the suspension your axle can come off the truck at highway speed.

Do the rest of the people in your neighborhood a favor and buy a kit. Install it yourself.

#8 ·
I was asking questions and trying to learn, if you don't have anything worth saying please keep it to yourself, unless you want to drive the truck for a week or 2 after the install.

#7 ·
Question is why do you want to 4 link? If your after a true 4 link you are going to need to figure out all your spring rates and everything else.

#9 ·
Just wanting to try something different, truck doesn't make it off road to often but when I articulate the truck it feels stiff.

#11 ·
Maybe I should have been more clear, I'm intrested in making my own link arms and drop brackets that bolt into the factory radial arm brackets. Not an entire 4 link set up.

#13 ·
Yes

#15 ·
jratoms, have you ever done any fabrication work before? Do you know how to weld? If you can take some measurements and you know how to weld, I think you could handle building a 4-link yourself. I'm getting ready to build my own and it pretty easy. I have alittle bit of fabrication knowledge and my roommate is an awesome welder. We have built our Ford Rangers into very capable dezert trucks and I have no doubt that building a 4-link for a Super Duty will be cake.
We'll be starting the suspension work on my truck in October. The 4-link, track bar bracket, and track bar will be built first. Later when I can afford coilover shocks, we'll be building a shock hoop to attach the coilovers to. I'll start a thread when we begin the project. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

#16 ·
I forgot to answer your question......
for the 4-link, make sure the bars are parallel to each other. On every 4-link I've seen the bars are always parallel to each other. This means you'll have to build some kind of bracket to bolt into the stock bracket on the frame. See picture. The upper link will go from the top mount on the axle to where your Fabtech raduis arm bolts onto the frame. The lower link will go from the bottom mount on the axle to the bracket that you would fabricate on your own. The metal shouldn't cost you much and a set of 1.25" heims will cost around $125. You can probably build the 4-link yourself for under $300.

Attachments

#17 ·
I forgot to answer your question......
for the 4-link, make sure the bars are parallel to each other. On every 4-link I've seen the bars are always parallel to each other. This means you'll have to build some kind of bracket to bolt into the stock bracket on the frame. See picture. The upper link will go from the top mount on the axle to where your Fabtech radius arm bolts onto the frame. The lower link will go from the bottom mount on the axle to the bracket that you would fabricate on your own. The metal shouldn't cost you much and a set of 1.25" heims will cost around $125. You can probably build the 4-link yourself for under $300.

jratoms, have you ever done any fabrication work before? Do you know how to weld? If you can take some measurements and you know how to weld, I think you could handle building a 4-link yourself. I'm getting ready to build my own and it pretty easy. I have a little bit of fabrication knowledge and my roommate is an awesome welder. We have built our Ford Rangers into very capable dezert trucks and I have no doubt that building a 4-link for a Super Duty will be cake.
We'll be starting the suspension work on my truck in October. The 4-link, track bar bracket, and track bar will be built first. Later when I can afford coil-over shocks, we'll be building a shock hoop to attach the coil-overs to. I'll start a thread when we begin the project. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Well now there is some quality information, thanks for that and yes I can fab and yes I can weld. I manage a maintenance department that fab's parts and tools daily, also have access to MIG's, TIG's, Lathes and Mills. Perhaps the project will start when a few of my others are done.

#19 ·
Have to disagree. With a parallel 4 link you are going to need a track bar or your axle is going to shift side to side. Now that being said if you do a triangulated 4 link you can for go the track bar.

#20 ·
Well that would make sense if he was lifting his truck. But it looks like his truck is lifted 8" already so he should already have a trackbar. So to convert to a 4-link, or to buy a 4-link kit, you're looking at 1 bracket and two link bars per side, that's it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.