Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oil leak from back of engine

81K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  buckkellar 
#1 ·
i noticed a couple of big wet spots as i was about to head home from work today. the bottom of the bell was always a little wet, but now there is lots of oil dripping down from both sides of the engine dripping onto the trans oil lines the back of the engine oil pan is wet the trans pan is pretty wet from highway driving. Its wet all the way up to just under the exhaust manifold. I've searched around and have only found rear main seal and back plate seal, but im not convinced of that, i looked at the oil return line from the turbo but its dry, and so is the valley.

See less See more
#2 ·
Iv seen rear covers get cracked from etc fitting and leak that way I'd brake clean it and add dy and retest

#3 ·
Etc was suppose to be stc

#9 ·
make sure you change the pigtail as well......when I did mine, it had oil up in it about 10 inches. Get the part from International, its way cheaper than the stealership

#13 ·
the truck has always shown a code, but it was an unknown code, a few weeks ago i checked the codes for the hell of it and there was a new code, i didn't pay much attention but i will check it when i get my tuner back from my old man. but the leak only just started the other day. I am going to clean it up with carb cleaner and see if i can pinpoint where its coming from.

#14 ·
btw the truck has 130K on it. I've just sprayed down the wet oil from the bell and engine, going to go pick up my tuner to check that code, i've been looking around the engine to try to find the ICP to see if it could be the cause however i cant even see where to reach. any tips?

#15 ·
Alright I just got back and took a look underneath, i went about 15 miles and its dripping already, but i really cannot tell where it is coming from. although im starting to think that RMS doesn't make sense because the end of the exhaust manifold is wet again and i just cant immagine that the RMS would get oil up there. I see there is wetness higher up past the manifold but its reall tough to see higher than that. Which to me does back the thought of the ICS, any thoughts?

Also i read the codes from the truck and i've got a few going now. says Cyl 4 and 6 CKT low. Also Crank sensor intermittent. Im learning about this truck as i go. anyone know what this means? No CEL as of yet.

#17 ·
bismic1: thanks for the links, those write-ups really made it look easy. should I be safe reusing my sensor if the O-ring is the cause of my oil leak?

also correction on those codes, they read:
"Cylinder #4 injector ckt low"
"Cylinder #6 injector ckt low"
"Camshaft position A ckt intermittent (b1 or single sensor)"

I read that the Ckt low could be due to the SCT programming, or it could be a sign of a failing FICM any thoughts?
Im not sure about the camshaft sensor though, couldn't find much about it.

#19 ·
ok so since the storm has passed and things have settled i started looking around for the ICP sensor. which i believe i can barely see the end of the plug between the turbo and the exhaust up pipe there. The end does look a bit oily but not as oily as i would expect it too considering the underside of my truck now looks like someone fired an oil buck shot at it... Can the ICP o-ring failure really create this big of an oil leak? even my transfer case has oil dripping from it now (i've been doing all highway driving).

all your help is greatly appreciated

#21 ·
Just replaced the ICP last night. Not as bad of a job as it seemed, just lots of crap in the way. FYI - if attacking it from above remove the intake post and reach around the heat shield remove middle and drivers side bolts and push it down out of the way and you have full access to the sensor without needing to cut your nice new 1-1/16" socket down.

there was definate evidence of the ICP being wet with oil however it seems like the oil on the bottom of the bell has merely lessened, not gone away entirely like i hoped. If my rear main seal is bad too can i just pop out that little rubber access on the back of the bell and feel for excess oil inside the housing?

I also check the turbo for shaft play, seems to have about 1mm of play (overall). what is everybody's thoughs?

#23 ·
I was looking at this post last night after looking around my truck and noticed I had the same spots around the oil pan and transmission. I took a picture around the exhaust manifold and was hoping someone could try and help me...I have a 2003 f-250 w/ a 6.0 (sick-ooo)...i was having problems with me EGR valve a few months back and was out of town and my mechanic back home told me to unplug it and I would be fine. Now im wondering since i never did the "EGR delete" and the valve is still unplugged, could this be causing my problem?? Hopefully the picture I have posted will upload on here and give yall a better idea of what I was looking at last night....

Let me say thanks in advance for any advice anyone could give....

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.