Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

A friend needs some help.......

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a 2000 cclb superduty, he went from a leveling kit and
35's to 10"s and 39.5. He soon was bored and went 14.5" and 43" tsl/sx's. Bored once again we put 26" springs in the front and now it has 30" of lift and 54" boggers. Oh and its stupid big. His tailgate when in the down postion is just about 70" from the ground, and thats under the tailgate to ground.

So here is the problem, steering that big turd. He talked about crossover but i told him i would do some research on steering. I'm use to rock crawlers not monster trucks. Full hydro has came up in conversation but i cant see doing that on a truck that will be driven on the road.

Any advice or shops that will have a solution feel free to contact me so we can get this thing up and on the road. Thanks Addison

#2 ·
Is this an albany dude... Cause I can't imagine that there are too many trucks that are running 54's in our area... LOL If it is I know him.

Definitely wouldn't hurt to do crossover steering, but he needs hydro assist. It would help, but I don't know how much. Those 54's are huge, makes my truck look like a toy... LOL

#3 ·
:whs: I would get the high/crossover steer and a hydro assist. I know some one with a BIG hydro assist, I will see if I can get some info from him.

And how much do those fukin tires rub the leafs? Thats a retarded big lift for leaf springs! LOL Truck sounds sweet though, post pics if you got em!

#4 ·
Not posting pictures of this Monster is a violation of "Man Law". JK....

Would love to see it though. Good luck with it. I have no advise for ya.

#5 ·
So, so I found out the setup I was talking about was OUO hydro assist but he has a PSC ram. And if he is using it for ONLY offroad, I would just go full hydro steer. If he is ever going to be driving around town or anything, you probably dont want full hydro

#7 ·
Most states require a mechanical steering linkage so that would rule out full hydro. I would do a crossover setup with a PSC ram assist. The PSC ram is larger in diameter than most others I have seen on the market. OUO has a nice mounting setup that bolts to the front diff cover, I think there may be a few others that do aswell.

Concerning the crossover kit, he will need one with heims and high misalignment spacers. The typical tie rod end wont have enough angle capability and will wear out quickly. We stock crossover kits at all times and can custom build a draglink to work with the heims or whatever he would like to run. If you want more infor or need any help, just let me know.

#8 ·
Its my friend from sweet home steven. I have a couple pics of it on my phone. he is running my old 2" spacers on 20x12 chrome hostages. Dont know if they rub cause it doesnt have steering.

Also will crossover be enough?? And who has it and how much?? send pm with pricing thanks

#10 ·
I think the best thing to do Addison is to put him in touch with your guys at OUO. They have dealt with those size lifts before and anything he needs they will know where and what.

Not sure but has he checked the width of this truck with those wheels to see if he is even street legal? Just a thought.

Just a bit of FYI: The net rumor mill makes all think hydro steering on the street is basically illegal everywhere. This simply is not the truth.

You had the same thing with sump fuel feed for out diesel trucks as well becasue a popular person said so everything thought they were not allowed. It was gasoline vehicles not diesel that were not allowed to.

Very few states even have laws referencing steering. Those that do many are very basic i.e. steering system must not be loose or must not be defective. That kind of stuff.

I did some searching for ya and this is what I was able to find as far as lists of statues on steering per states:

• Alaska: A vehicle's steering system must not be loose or defective.

• Kentucky: A vehicle's steering system must not be defective.

• Michigan: A vehicle's steering system must retain the factory geometry. It is unlawful to weld on pitman arms, drag links, or tie rods.

• New Jersey: Power steering systems must allow for the safe operation of the vehicle in the event of power steering failure. The steering system of lifted vehicles must retain almost all factory characteristics.

• North Carolina: A vehicle's steering system must be safe.

• North Dakota: Modified vehicles must have a steering wheel at least 13 inches in diameter that functions with no less than 2 turns and no more than 6 turns lock-to-lock.

• South Dakota: A vehicle's steering system must automatically return to center. A steering wheel's lock-to-lock turning count must not be less than 2 or more than 6 revolutions.

• Tennessee: It is unlawful to modify a vehicle's original steering system. The minimum steering wheel diameter is 12 inches.

This info came from Lift Laws .com They have gone so far as to put up a $100 bounty for anyone that can produce for them statutes for any state that makes it illegal to run full hydro steering besides the state of Tennessee which basically makes any steering changes illegal. Amazing considering the vast number of massively lifted trucks etc my neighbor state has.

The issue is full hydro is a nightmare on the street unless you are gonna spend the money on a huge system with return to center units etc.. Otherwise you are going to be correcting constantly on the road and at times you may have turned the wheel full turn a few times over keeping it striaght. Remember there is no center or mechanical lock out anymore.

I am thinking something along the lines of dropping down the location of the steering gear box and creating a custom mounting point for it much closer to the axle. Then extend the steering shaft what ever is needed to reach the cab steering wheel. From there you will want to run a standard cross over steering setup as that is honestly best anyways as it keeps what is suppose to be parellel that way and removes tons of stresses that woudl be created by trying to cover the distance to the frame. Now with the cross over you will still need to add hydro assist and given the size of those big meat tires you will likely need a larger pump in terms of flow capacity. That will keep your steering speed up to snuff with the system.

Basically by relocating the gear box to a drop down mount from the frame you no longer are dealing with the full height of the lift. You can set it so you are dealing with just enough to set the ideal geometry for the cross over steering. Then slap on the hydro assist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.