Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

OMG!!!!! Pulling injector sleeves

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  1TonStroker 
#1 ·
So, when I pulled the injectors out it was pretty obvious the sleeves needed to be replaced. I got the fancy tools, which are well worth it and worked great. The problem is, three out of the four on the passenger side were cracked all the way around so the very end where the nozzle sticks through is still in the head. :doh: I am hoping somebody has some ideas on how to get just the tip out, especially the one at the very back. I really don't want to have to pull the motor or the head. I am supposed to leave for Phoenix in a week and don't have time for all that. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never looked that close, but could you get something to thread into the smaller nozzle hole and then use a slide hammer to get it out (kinda similar to the big tap used on the bigger portion of the cup)? Cheers!

#3 ·
I have a tap that will fit the hole and I have a slide hammer. There is no way the slide hammer will work for the back two. It might work for the one farthest forward but I am not sure the threads will have enough surface area to hold on to. I'll have to figure out something else for the back two. Maybe I can set something up like pulling tool with a long bolt and some washers and nuts. Thanks

#4 ·
Am I seriously the only one that has had this happen? I was able to get two of them out with a large lag bolt but of course the one in the very back wont budge. Anybody have any ideas?

#5 ·
just an idea but could you try to thread a bolt in there or block the center hole and then turn the engine over? if you could do that the pressure from the cylinder may blow it out. Just an idea though

#6 ·
You could use a pilot bearing puller like what you would use to change a blind hole bearing like on a standard transmission.

#7 ·
just an idea but could you try to thread a bolt in there or block the center hole and then turn the engine over? if you could do that the pressure from the cylinder may blow it out. Just an idea though
I am not sure the compression would be enough to push it out. And at this point I can't seem to get anything threaded into it to even try it. Thanks

You could use a pilot bearing puller like what you would use to change a blind hole bearing like on a standard transmission.
I don't think I have ever seen a puller small enough to fit that hole. I will have to see if I can find one. Thanks

#9 ·
Yeah, it does suck. Thanks

#12 ·
It might be easier to pick up a set of heads and swap them. I know it sounds like a big job but it would eliminate any other headaches that could pop up, ie pieces dropping into the cylinders and such that could destroy your motor in the long run.
At this point I am a little worried about tiny pieces of brass falling in the cylinders from me trying to get these out, especially in the last cylinder.

Doesn't the head have a small hole in it for the injector just like the cup? Seems that it does, been a whaile since I did mine. Just didn't want you to cut into it with a tap and start pulling.
You know what, you're right. I must have just got lucky with the first two and now the bolt I was using is trying to grab the head in the back one. I guess the motor is coming out.

There is one positive to pulling the motor. It will make doing the studs, springs and swapping the turbo about a zillion times easier. :D

#13 ·
You want to look for a puller that is designed to remove the pilot bearing for manual transmissions. The hole you have to work with is larger than the hole in a pilot bearing so it should work great. It is basically a three jaw inverted puller.

#14 ·
I know what kind of puller you are talking about. The hole is only 5/16 of an inch, that's smaller than any pilot bearing I've ever pulled. And like Barnbuilder said, there is a similar sized hole in the head that the sleeve rests up against. Assuming I could find a small enough puller it would just grab the head, not the sleeve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.