Speedo jumps around - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
GTwho?
Yup it's me!
Member's Gallery

Speedo jumps around

Any time I get over about 65mph the speedo will start to jump around. It' doesn't bounce but will drop 5-10 mph hold there for a split second then jump back up. It will just do this back and forth randomly. I've replaced the VSS and with AE hooked up it shows a steady speed which tells me that everything up to the PCM is good.

I've recently got a Lightning speedo thinking it was the speedo that was bad but the new speedo still does it. I had both speedos checked out at Tacoma Speedometer and when they test them they are rock steady. So this tells me it's still something in the truck.

The guy at Tacoma Speedometer said it could be the RABS module but I think that is between the VSS and PCM and if AE is showing steady I wouldn't think that would be it. The only thing I can think of is if I've got a chafed wire or a bad pin in a connector. Anyone else had a similar issue that they found the fix for?
Chip Live Tuned from PHP
TransBTS
Ceramic Coating from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA
Sponsred by Nitrous Outlet12.683@105.65 in 1/4 mi!
466hp #2 only 806hp NČO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 09:11 PM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Speedo jumps around

Three things cause a jumpy speedo. The VSS, the tone ring in the rear diff, and the PSOM in the instrument cluster. Since you have swapped speedos around you eliminated that.
97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
Old 08-14-2011, 12:01 AM
96'BigBlue
just learning...
Member's Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to 96'BigBlue Send a message via AIM to 96'BigBlue

I have done checking on mine and I think I have it pin pointed to the tone ring, need to flush the diff out an get a new ring. For some reason when my tranny temp gets to 160-180 it delay shifts and shifts hard, could this be caused by a bad tone ring or am I looking at a new tranny soon?

1996 f350 dually AFE Intake, Gauges, SuperChips Programmer, Auxillary tranny cooler& fan, IC, DP only.... 299,000 an still rollin.....kinda...

2000 F250 XLT-bone stock and staying that way
Old 08-14-2011, 12:37 AM
GTwho?
Yup it's me!
Member's Gallery

I would think being AE shows steady that the VSS and tone ring would be fine as well. It seems to be something between the PCM and Speedo. Also if it was a VSS or tone ring I wouldn't think it would drop stay there then jump back up but be more of a sharp bounce if you get what I'm saying. I'm at a bit of a loss on this one.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
rwhite1
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I've also got the same problem - been driving it like that for about 2 years. After about 62mph the speedo will jump as you described. What I found out is that there is some type of "computer" behind the speedo in the instrument cluster. I don't remember the name but it could be the PSOM that Speeddemon pointed out. When I priced the part it was about $400 so I have let it be. It hasn't messed with my shift points or anything that's why I left mine the way it is.

'96 F250 w/ E40D
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
speeddemon31176
Demon Dually
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

^That is exactly what I was referring to. The PSOM is the Programmable Speedometer Module. That little bugger can cause all sorts of issues from speedo jumping around to putting the trans into limp mode(full line pressure at all times).
Old 08-18-2011, 07:19 PM
rwhite1
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Well, if that be the case - yesterday I called Ford just out of curiosity. Ford no longer has any PSOM's in stock - although the person I talked to said you had to buy the speedometer head - is that correct and does anyone know where you could get a speedometer head other than getting lucky in a junkyard? thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:51 PM
sr.stroke96
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

i had the same problem in my 95 f150, right befor the rear end blew up hahaha. i could have been from to many shavings in the rear end from my carrier about to grenade that it threw it off. i rebuilt the rear end and it went away.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 PM
ActionRick
<-Friends bike
Member's Gallery

Pull the VSS & look for rust build up on the mounting surface ...

Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
www.fordtransmissioncure.com
Special thanks to RacerX USA www.racerxpower.com
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Cratos
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Mine dose the same thing .all teeth on the tone ring look good. new vss and connector swapped speedo. still the same. is there a gound someplace that could cause it. ?
Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 15,000 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter kit, ccv mod, deleted :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 130
'94IDITurbo7.3, -TBAZZ, 1950gmcelc, 1TonStroker, 6.4 powerstroke, 7.3L F-250, 7.3Ldieselsteve, 7.3LStrokeR, 70DS, 76FUMMINS, 84mudder, 907DAVE, 94.5stroker, 95dump, 95powersmoker, 96'BigBlue, 96stroker7.3, 97CCLB410LS, adcausey, AH64D_powerstroke, biggreen96, bluestreak04, Boost96, bpa658, Brian Cox, brick, Bulldog, Burg460, buzzkillphil, catman70, Chad Edwards, COFG-28, Coueshunter, Cratos, ctstroke, cumminskiller69, danielzink, dave jr, dave186, deezeljunky, Dieselboy740, ding1968, DMDP, dsinderson, DZLAL, ericlouie1, excavator, fkjunkin, FlatbedStroker, floridastroke, Ford_or_Nothing, friskyjake, GASMAN6674, glovemeister, gsxr1216, GTwho?, hendricksbus, highfive, hogsnapper7, hskrpwr, james195813, jclem, josh1.123, Josh2021, JSchuricht, Justincredible, Jwagoner15, K5383, kip4234, KYkickinit, lib88stang, loudmouth, madpogue, mandkole, Mcfly89, metrojd, michealamxamc, mongo7677, mr01000101, mrstang01, mttrucker, Mudy67, mwalsh9152, Mx_racer_36, mzwizanski, nitroteam, o'red, old man dave, oldbluef250, ontwowheels, Patrick Feeley, Patrolman, powerstroke cowboy, powerstrokefarmboy, pscooter6, rafter3w, RedNeckRea, reichley97HD, reptillikus, Robjesup88, robr1970, rwhite1, silenpro14, silent64, sly10, SouthFlstrokin', speeddemon31176, spstactical, sr.stroke96, srod1049, stray cat, strokefreak, STROKER #1, StrokeR2001, StrokerTurbo7.3, svorob, TNR, toolmangary, Trayballs95, vcassens, vosslere, wa96stroke, Wadevan, wes lewis, xbrandonleighx, ytee