Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Yet another Lock Out question.

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  INFERNO DRAKAN 
#1 ·
I have searched the forum on this subject...but still.

I've seen mentioned that a lock out swap from manual to auto requires some sort of wiring harness.... My transfer case shifter is on the floor and not on the dash in the form of a selector switch. Looking to swap from manual to auto in a 2000 F-250. I have priced these auto lockouts at a Ford Dealer and seems they are pretty proud of these.

I don't see how they would not work since they don't know how the power of the drive line is being supplied...by electric motor or manually shifting the case. Power to the axles is power to the axles, plain and simple. I have 20" wheels on my rig and the center caps cover the lockout. Seems selecting the "AUTO" feature and putting the center caps on is going to be the ticket.

Am I wasting $600.00 for these style lockouts. Will this set up work ???

#2 ·
The Auto hubs rely on vacuum to operate, and develop issues. It is quite common to switch from Auto to Manual, but this is the first time I have seen someone who wants to do what you are thinking.

The transfer-case uses an electric motor within itself that does the switching internally as the knob on the dash is moved to the desired function. At the same time (when the knob is moved from 2wd to 4hi) the vacuum solenoid opens and allows the hubs to lock.

As for the $600... that is up to you, but there is more involved than just installing the hub locks. You need the transfer-case, the switch, relays, vacuum solenoid, possibly new steering knuckles (because the insides go all pitted and rusty and won't hold a vacuum even if a new seal is installed).

How often do you use 4wd? Every weekend? Occasionally in the winter when you head to the mountains? All winter long? You might consider just running the hubs locked all the time (Dodge does not have an option to unlock the hubs on full sized Rams) and just switch the floor lever as needed. Over the winter I keep my hubs locked the entire duration, unless I remember to unlock them for a longer drive when I know I won't encounter conditions that would require 4wd.

#4 ·
All right guys, thanks for the heads up. Seems there is more involved than this "Old Schooler" is aware of.

Both hubs still turn and lock. I think i'll keep it just the way it is.

#5 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have 2 fords, 1 f250 4X4 with manual hubs and shifter, an f350 with the auto shift, I am not sure why the 4 wheel in the shift on the fly isn't working, you turn the nob on the dash and nothing happens, no light, no hubs lock, nothin. If the vacuum hub solenoid was bad would this cause that? Also how hard is it to change over to manual?

#6 ·
Not a 100% but it sounds like your transfer case isn't switching over.

My setup (99 f350) has autos but the vaccum hoses are shot and the hub locks are gummed up. So if I am continuously offroading I just turn the hub locks with a wrench to 'lock' and drive around just fine, and if I NEED the 4x4 I just flip the switch and then the '4x4' light comes on which tells me the transfer case switched.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.