Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What would you do?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  mrgto 
#1 ·
I need a little advice, as I think an outside opinion would steer me in the right direction.

The Story:
9 months ago, I paid a repair shop to swap out my balljoints on my 00 superduty. The shop was O.K. with me purchasing all the parts and bringing them in to install, and they gave me a killer cash price on the labor.
I purchased the XRF greasable balljoints, along with all the required parts.
The shop did the job, called me up and sent me on my way.

9 months later:
I'm doing my maintenance, and to my surprise, the Zerk fittings are missing from 3 of the 4 ball joints, and I'm staring at a mess of sludge in the proposed area.

Now, I know that the truck hasn't been driven anywhere but the hiway since install, so they couldn't have broken off. Either they fell off from not being tightened, or they were never installed. (this is my thinking anyway).
What would you do?

#2 ·
contact xrf and see about new zerk fittings. install them, regrease the ball joints and drive it like you stole it.

#6 ·
Most mech. shops are 90 days warranty on parts and labor. No sense on starting something over a couple of dollars worth of scrap metal, seeing that he did cut you a great deal. Just buy some and install youself. Next time inspect the work before you pay.

#7 ·
Thanks for the sound advice,
I guess I could just unscrew the 1 good zerk, and match it up at Napa. Done!! I think I am more worried about what type of contaminates are in the balljoint now, due to the open holes.

#11 ·
What kind of advice is "pump them full til all th eold crap is squeezed out"...? The idea is to not push out grease, than the boot wears faster and water can get in...

#12 ·
because if there is crap in the grease thats in there the new grease will force the majority of it out. having it full will not wear out the boot faster either. ifyou want to be that anal about how full it is toss a zip tie on the boot so it cant expand anymore, squeeze the old crap out and then cut the zip tie off. what do you rec. he does? replace the new balljoints? oh and water can get in if it really wants to anyway pumping some grease out wont make it any easer or harder for the water

#14 ·
you guys do realize they are pliable and made to stretch/bend/contort right? the "seal" on the shaft portion is just size fit cause of the taper and on the base its usually either a spring that will return to position or a metal clip that keeps it locked in place and will only give slightly to let grease out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.