Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Axle Swap NOISE when left off of accelerator???

913 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
:doh:Just finished swapping a 2001 F-250 4x4 front axle and a 2003 F-250 rear into my 86 Ford F-250 4x4 with 6.9/T19. Both axles are geared 3.73. Everytime i let off the accelerator i am hearing noise coming from the rear axle. Anybody have an idea what it might be?>>????

#2 ·
Could be any number of things. I spent quite a few years pointing people (especially Trailblazer owners) to a specific GM service bulletin that says their 3.73 gears have an inherent harmonic vibration to them and I have yet to see anything to dispute that claim.

Differential side bearings, pinion bearings, incorrect set-up of the ring and pinion, etc. are things that will cause noise on acceleration or deceleration.

Every set of 3.73 gears I've ever dealt with whines more than a 3.55 or 4.10 (or thereabouts).

My 2001 was the worst...with the sliding back window open you couldn't hear yourself think while decelerating. Disassembled to find nothing wrong.

Drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.