Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

power steering pump

4K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Kickin Y2K 
#1 ·
I am running a stock powersteering pump with redhead steering box, and it does not have enough balls to turn the tires at idle on pavement. Im running 305/55 20 tires which are wider than stock but not extremely wide and a stock pump should not have these issues. What is there for upgrading the pump and not the steering box. I know psc makes powersteering upgrades but id like to hear opinions from people who have upgraded their stuff

#2 ·
Whens the last time you flushed your power steering fluid?

#3 ·
I have 305/50/20's on mine and sometimes I have a hard time turning my wheel at a stop on pavement as well.

#5 ·
You guys need to flush and bleed your steering systems... I have 148K on the stock pump, and it can turn my 35's at idle while sitting still.

#7 ·
Chris are you running a steering stabilizer ?...

Am having the same problem with mine too.. Gotta have a little throttle sometimes. Which with the same size tires as you shouldnt have a problem.

Ive looked for upgraded pumps but no luck ??

Any idea if the medium duty 7.3s (F450-550) would be a stronger pump ?

#9 ·
It seems like the only way to guarantee the ability to turn tires while sitting still is some form of ram assist.

Potential problems could be a colapsed line, the pump or the hydroboost.

It seems like whatever relief valves sets the high pressure cutout in these trucks powersteering systems, must vary greatly. Thats my guess since all trucks are a little different in there ability to steer different size tires. The only true answer would be, to check the pressure the pump is putting out when trying to steer, and compare one truck to the next.

#11 ·
I've got no problem at all with my 04 on 35's and 20x12's

#12 ·
When I learned to drive I was taught not to turn the steering wheel if I wasn't moving. I rarely ever do it. Needless to say I make lots of 3 point turns

#14 ·
Just went through similar issues, loss of steering when at idle or low speed, like trying to get into a car park, or reversing. I am running MT ATZ 35x12s on 18x10 MT wheels.

So I took my truck to a power steering shop and they changed out power steering gear box, it was stripped out inside and had worn metal surfaces, this sent metal through the sytem, so they pulled out and rebuilt pump, installed an in line filter and flushed out the entire sytem. However I still have same problem as before, can not turn full lock while braking or at low speed / idle..when i rang and spoke to them about no change in performance, they tell me it is a common problem with the hydroboost braking / steering system and even Ford do not recomend anything for it??

Anyone got any ideas, can you upgrade the pumps or line pressures on these trucks? will this work?

#16 ·
PSC pump? Hydroboost mod?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.