One rear brake locking up. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM
drwoodchopper
<---F350 DRIFTER
Member's Gallery

One rear brake locking up.

So thismorning I go to leave home and truck has been siting for 3 days and one rear brake locks up every time I push on the brakes. I am hoping it is moisture it has been real humid and I last drove it in the rain..never humid in Utah so just a thought. I just put new shoes last year so I hope they arnt worn. Any things to look for as I start to tear into it tonight??
Thanks
97PSD. CC 4X4 160K, IDM mod, 6 Leaker IC, Beans 6pos chip, WOP QSSB Turbo, kit by Carson Stauffer. Swamps 175/146's sticks, CNG kit 35mpg's on the diesel, E-fuel, Adrenaline and a BTS. 4" straight pipe. 2011 f350 ccsb leveled on 35's, I can neither confirm nor deny that it is tuned and deleted!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Patrick Feeley
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: One rear brake locking up.

Just usuall things like leaking axle seal or brake cylinder, make sure the e-brake cable and mechanism can freely move (the housings can get moisture inside and cause corrosion with binding). Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM
drwoodchopper
<---F350 DRIFTER
Member's Gallery

Thanks I will probably check it out when I rotate the tires in the next day or so. I just got home wend for a drive, rode the brakes for about 1/10 mile and everything works normal again. Hopefully just some moisture.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 AM
JCart
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Some times the Park brake cable will seize inside the protective sheath on the rear of one wheel. So when you stomp on the p brake and after use release the one seize cable will hold brake on that side partially on....

Check to see if cable has fully retracted (when released) back into sheathing at the rear where sheathing starts on drivers rear frame rail.

jrc
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, SRK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5 ).
White / Silver 96 F250 4x2, SCSB E4OD, 4:10 stock for now mods to install: D60, engine stuff.
Truck pix write ups
Old 07-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Zrock
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

check your brake hardware/springs... had the same issue recently and one of the springs broke in the rear drum
Old 07-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Sounds like axle seal or wheel cylinder
Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM
drwoodchopper
<---F350 DRIFTER
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
Sounds like axle seal or wheel cylinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
check your brake hardware/springs... had the same issue recently and one of the springs broke in the rear drum
I put all new springs in when I replaced the shoes. And I pulled the wheels off yesterday to rotate them. There was mo sign of fluid, but I did not pull the drums. So far it is still acting normal. I am just gonna wait for next time I guess.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Unless you have a MAJOR axle seal or wheel cyl leak it will NOT be running out of the drum, but it will make things wet enough to make your brakes lock up

Why didnt you pull the drums? It takes 30 seconds more.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 64
96P_Stroke4x4, 97f3504x4green, arcticstroker05, awehrmann, bhodge, BIG_RED, Bradbilt, brooksbronco17, caseih7010, Cocaptianfork, Codydiesel, CRASHJT, Dieseltron, douglasharwood, Drew2010, Driles85, drwoodchopper, dsinderson, EverettWV, fink33, FordFever, fordnut, fordtough82, foxman, Haztanker, hendricksbus, holmes76, ihasfip, iowacornfarmer, jake2far, jasiri, JCart, jff987, jgerdes2005, Josh2021, Kampy, kip4234, Lildiup, madpogue, mean matt, Michael5126, mojoman, Mudbrother, nelsonar, Nitro41, oneton, Patrick Feeley, pff250hd, rnelsen, salprofish, screagle07, seven.3psd, shmokenpstroke, silverf250, Slimline, speedy_fisher3, spstactical, steinerr, tjl, toolmangary, tysonxj, Wheels, Zrock