Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2011 Powerstroke R.I.P.

32K views 95 replies 61 participants last post by  97_7.3 
#1 ·
I believe this might have been titled "Extra Crispy or Original recipe"! I'm working on getting more details right now about this but here goes. My friends truck (whom ordered his truck with me when I ordered mine) burned severly on the interstate tonight. This is the where the plot thickens. This truck has ran almost 20k trouble free miles and has gotten incredible fuel mileage and seemed to be a very strong running truck. Would run circles around my truck. Approx 3 weeks ago (around June 15) on a trip hauling a 16ft trailer with 6 motorcycles (not a very heavy load) in it there was some sort of fueling problem about 200 miles into the trip. Sorry I don't know the exact details of the "Fueling" problem but he was told to not drive the truck because it would basicall overfuel and wash down the cylinders possible causing an engine failure. The truck was left at a Ford dealership in Kenesaw Georgia and after a couple weeks and a bunch of complaining to Ford the truck was ready to pick up. Supposedly the level of the repair required cab removal. What type of repair to the fuel system would require that? The dealership has provided virtually no information related to the repairs or how they were executed. Picked the truck up today and went 50 or so miles and was leaking diesel from somwhere and the truck wasn't running well. Took the truck back the the same dealership and it was checked over again and was decided that the fuel inside the engine compartment was leftover from being worked on and not a leak. The truck made it within 10 miles of home (Nashville Tn Area about 200 miles or so) and without warning the truck burst into flames. The driver reported the flames burst from the dash area into the cab of the truck. He luckily was in the far right hand lane and was able to get the truck to the side of the interstate and get out without getting ran over or more seriously burned. I'm attaching pics of this truck. It makes me sick to know how this was handled by the Ford dealer and being the person who twisted my friends arm into buying the truck I feel bad. Anyone heard of anything remotely similar to this? I'll add more info as it comes available. I apologise for not having all the details because I know the more info I have available the more info I could get from you guys.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow!! I'm sorry to hear about your friend,i hope he not hurt too bad. Sounded like some sort of fuel leak after they did the repair!!
Keep us updated!!

#3 ·
Damn! Sounds like the dealer has cranial ractosis. If the truck over fuels it would rev higher and higher until it blew to pieces. It would have been a runaway truck right? Sounds like the dealer made some mistakes.
I wouldn't blame Ford... Unless we see more trucks catch fire. I say don't get work done at that dealer. He should also report directly to Ford his side of the story so the dealer doesn't lie to them.

#4 ·
Holy cow that's crazy! Ive never seen that before. Hope your buddy's alright. Keep us posted

#6 ·
The driver was ok. Thanks for well wishes. Shaken up from it but ok. Ford had already offered him assistance with towing the stranded trailer and the stranded driver since the dealership had done a terrible job of completeing the repair in a timely manner. It seems that Ford had genuine concern about making it right when he had the breakdown. This should be interesting when the fire issue comes about. He will be making the call first thing in the morning to see how this matter is handled.

#9 ·
Holy ####

#11 ·
That fire seems to have burned real hot, barely any interior left except for supports. I'm sad to see his truck go, but I'm extremely thankful he got out ok.
Glad to hear ford stepping in. Hope they turn this sour note into something great.

#14 ·
Now that's what I call a regen. Wow.

#17 ·
My friend called the dealership today that had performed the repairs and informed them of what happened. There reply was "Thats why you have insurance. Call Ford Customer Service and your insurance company. We are sure it will get worked out". That is about all they would say. My friend didn't threaten them or talk crazy. Just matter of fact. I really don't know what they could say other than that without exposing themselves to even more liability. Bottom line is they had 2 opportunities to make it right and the end result is a charred truck. As a fellow owner I'm curious to see how this turns out also.

#18 ·
I hope for everyone's sake, and Ford that this was a fluke. The last time Ford had problems with vehicles bursting into flames ( Pinto ) it almost ruined them. Hopefully one and done and nobody gets killed or injured. If I am like anyone else I am often on the road with several people including my three little children. We often tow our camper and have 5 plus two dogs in the cab. Granted I have an 08, but the point is that many with 11's probably have similar scenarios. One can't exactly get off a highway too quickly with a camper in tow, let alone get 5 people (three little ones) out quickly. It sounded like your friend had to make a hasty retreat, I know how hard it is to get all of my kids , my wife and dogs out under normal circumstances, I couldn't imagine with fire and smoke erupting into the cab area.

BTW love TN, especially the Nashville area. My brother lives in Mt. Juliet(Joliet). He also has a small house on Old Hickory, right off Gallatin Road if IIRC.

#45 ·
The last time Ford had problems with vehicles bursting into flames ( Pinto ) it almost ruined them. Hopefully one and done and nobody gets killed or injured. .
Pinto wasn't the most recent IIRC
think Crown Victoria and Police deaths

#20 ·
I cant imagine bailing out under those circumstances either. He suffered only very minor burns and no doubt a very lucky guy. Said the radio stopped working then.........fire shooting fromt he dash vents! WOW! I really don't think (based off my limited info so far) that this is a Ford problem. I really believe this to be a dealership induced problem. Even when it had its original problem it went into the service department for in the first place there wasnt a fuel leak. That wasn't till after the dealer worked on it and was supposedly ready for him to pick up. Thanks for the Mid Tn love. I live across the lake from Mt. Juliet. Gallatin Road is actually on this side of the lake (Hendersonville/Gallatin area.) He may be located pretty close to me. I'm jealous if he has a house on the lake.

When I get more info I'll post it.

#21 ·
I wanna hear what else happens
Please tell us more

#22 ·
I hear a lawsuit a brewing! I would hammer their a$s's the ford legal program is a long process I would advise hiring a lawyer. Iv got a 6.4 in the shop that driver stated blew a 10 foot flame out of tail pipe. It has sat out side for a month now. I tore it down the first day I had it FoMoCo told me to roll it out side and wait for approval. It's been a pita

#24 ·
:popcorn:WOW !!!

#27 ·
WOW - WTH - Glad your buddy is OK. I would definitely be on the horn to Ford Customer service and there Engineering to have them come and inspect the truck and get a new one expedited to him. That was an extremely hot fire to burn away the sheet metal like it did. Must of had fuel feeding it to burn that hot. Definitely want Ford intervention on this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.