abs light - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 AM
new2deisel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

abs light

My ABS light came on again. It has done this before and would stay on for a little while then go off or after turning truck off then on again. This hasn't happened in about a year. This weekend I took a road trip about 500 miles away. The ABS light came on again while going to my destination. It turned off a couple of times when I turned the truck off then on but it stayed on all the way home. I tried to check for codes with my SCT but nothing showed up.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
jratoms
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: abs light

Mine did this a few times while pulling a trailer, been about 2 years since the last time. Sorry no help here.
8" Fabtech lift, Fabtech Traction Bars, 20" KMC with SS M16's, AirRaid, Bully Dog PMT, 4" Silverline Turbo Back Dual 5" Tips, ARP's, Black Onyx Head Gaskets, Sinister EGR Delete, Sinister Coolant Filter and Bunch of other stuff... none of which is go fast parts.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:58 AM
new2deisel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Now that you mention it, mine did it a couple of times pulling my trailer too. I took it for a drive today and the light went of again. Only drove a few miles though.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 AM
jratoms
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

You know I did have another problem that may be related, I couldnt turn my trailer brake controller down. That ended just being the plug in the back of the controller I just make sure it's tight from time to time and haven't had the problem again. It's worth a shot.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:38 AM
FaSSt9602
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

SCT won't read ABS codes. Mine is on and I have a wheel speed sensor that is bad on the passenger side. For cheap, you could pull the speed sensor out of the rear pumpkin and make sure there isn't a bunch of gunk on it...otherwise, if the front is out, you pretty much have to replace the sensor. Just picked one up for about $70 from the dealer.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM
lenzhotrod
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Low brake fluid level will turn on the light also.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM
new2deisel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I picked up a rear abs sensor from the dealer to find out it is the wrong one. Have to exchange it now. It was $23 and figured cheap enough to try and hope it fixes the problem. I hope it isn't a front one cause those are expensive.

I checked the brake fluid and seems fine. I thought the parking brake light would stay on if low on brake fluid?
Old 07-09-2011, 06:09 AM
dieselmac
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Not sure what year your truck is but my '06 part number is: 6L3Z9E731A or Motorcraft DY1073. Should be $50-$70.

Check out the wiring to the sensor also. The ABS system is very picky about voltages. The clowns that installed my turnover ball crushed the wires (didn't break the insulation) which threw the voltage off slightly and set the ABS light.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 AM
new2deisel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac View Post
Not sure what year your truck is but my '06 part number is: 6L3Z9E731A or Motorcraft DY1073. Should be $50-$70.

Check out the wiring to the sensor also. The ABS system is very picky about voltages. The clowns that installed my turnover ball crushed the wires (didn't break the insulation) which threw the voltage off slightly and set the ABS light.
That ended up being the one that I needed. Haven't got a chance to take it for a drive. Got the part for $50 from a buddies neighbor that is a parts manager.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:55 PM
new2deisel
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Must have been the rear sensor. I put over 100 miles today and no ABS light. Seems to run/stop smoother and my lio-meter says I am getting better mpg, which I was expecting cause when the light first came on my fuel mileage really seemed to suffer the last couple tanks.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 81
04 f350, 06 f250 man, 06f3506.0, ackdog, alwil, BCS, bhanger24, bigdaddy60, Bigdog, billc, BINGS6.0, bismic1, Bleedgreen, blwnmstgt1990, boostaddict, boostintalon, bootcamp, c todd, cabloom7.3, Candy08, Cgherman, chugalug, cowboystyle, crouchr, Daryl, dexleo2, dieselmac, ding1968, Donnie1, Eford00, FaSSt9602, florida 6.0, Fordbeem, fordboy11, Frenchb85, gaf350, Gnarkle, gwskulls, H-Bomb, headviking, isimar, jake9458, jcc01, Jeff Severe, JHill, JoeR83, JohnKBrown, JRamseyer, jratoms, justind, KBROOKS, Krisco, ktmrydr686, Lee_Bay, longhualman, matts05f250sd, mikecd, Mikelee, milehighstroker, monkeymanstunna, Natos, NEBR99.5 OIL BURNER, new2deisel, NYC F-350, podzie, Quadzilla500Dad, Ranger Dan, rod jr, shadow6.0, smokin250, ssduck30, ssebird, teamorange7, tking7, tmars51, toycrawler, trolling2, twheat, twhouse, ZanderP