Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Strange noises after installing new rear brakes

927 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Betaracer 
#1 ·
2003 F350 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, Short Box, 6.0 Diesel, Single Rear Wheel...

Just installed new rotors, pads, caliper brackets, and caliper pins on the rear axle. Everything went together normally and without incident.

The only difficulty with the brake job in general, was getting the original rotors off of the axle. They were rusted on to the point where I ended up using WD-40, a propane torch, and hitting them from the back with a sledge hammer to get them off.

Now when I drive the truck at slower speeds (25mph or less) I here random noises and clunks. I can drive several blocks with no noise at all, and then I will hear some clicking, and maybe a thunk, and then the noise will go away again. Yesterday, while driving about 25mph, there was suddenly a significant vibration through the whole truck... I quickly took the next right turn into a parking lot, and the vibration/noise stopped as soon as I started to turn. With my girlfriend driving in the parking lot and me hanging off the tailgate, the truck wouldn't make the sound again, so I wasn't able to pin point it. I checked for looseness at both back wheels, by pulling out on the top of the tire with the vehicle on the ground, and I feel a little bit of lateral movement at the passenger side rear. This also happens to be the side where getting the old rotor off gave me the most difficulty, resulting in me banging on it more with the sledge. Also, the noises and thunks seem to happen only when I am going in a straight line.

I have yet to disassemble each side of the rear brakes for inspection, but looking at everything from under the truck, it all appears normal.

At highway speeds everything seem normal and smooth with no noticeable noises or clunks.

By banging on the old rotor with a sledge, have I caused problems in the differential?

Any thoughts, ideas, things to inspect to get a better idea of what is going on, would all be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Badger

See less See more
#2 ·
With all the force put into removing the old rotor, you could have damaged something, most likely the e-brake shoes and/or backing plate. If you have movement when wiggling the wheel, then the bearings need to be re&re'ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.