Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who's all running a 400hp truck without a bts?

23K views 201 replies 49 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
I am getting sick of hearing that bts is the only guys that can build a strong 4r100. I am not starting this thread to argue with people over who is better at building them. I just want to see the other transmissions people are running and in what part of the country they are in. So everyone NOT running a bts please chime in. Only 4 I know of are twisted diesel(Virgina), john wood(california), suncoast(florida) and ats(colorado).

#2 ·
Mines not a BTS.

And it doesnt work worth a #### !!!!

But NADP close to me so I will more than likely running their transmission

#7 ·
are you retarded ???
post in the proper section
this is the smack talk section

unless you do want to start sh!t
then by all means try harder to offend someone,wuss[/QUOT

Seems like you got a problem a**monkey. D*ck heads like you are that type that should not be on forums. Sorry I did post it in wrong section. No need to be a a** about it.

Just trying to help others around and see who does good work. :psnb:

#5 ·
My boss is running an ATS and has broke it twice, he's in the ballpark of 500 or so, just no dyno slip.

I'm guessing I'm around 350 and I'm running a ford reman with an ATS converter (traded boss for labor) and a shift kit and haven't broke it in 25k miles. A good chunk of that is towing also.

#6 ·
DI builds transmissions. Houston, TX.

That being said, I think a stocker can hold 400 rwhp pretty easily. I have a stocker with 200K miles, a PI Stallion, Sonnax/Tricumulator, and a 6.0 cooler. I've been close to 400hp a few times... I've also done a lot of retarded chit with my 350 hp. Knock on wood, but my trans runs great. Been to Dallas, drag raced, and drove back home... Been to Baton Rouge, performed 4 wheel burnouts :doh: and drove home....

400 hp isn't anything....

#23 ·
Not me. I broke mine 3 times with 350-400hp. One was a ford reman,one was a heazvy duty rebuild by a retired ford tech that does it on the side. And then another from the same guy .

#10 ·
I am also wondering the same thing because I don't know what route to go with my trans. My 95 has 162,xxx on it now and it didn't like me adding the 160/80% with tunes. From what I have read everyone says a factory rebuild is a waste of money. Don't really have the money for a BTS right now and my trans has been winding out first gear and slowly engages into second. Dosnt slam into gear though. Also takes about 5 sec to go in reverse. Don't know if those are signs of my trans going bad or could it be the tune just start acting up idk. Is that possible for a chip/ tune to act up like that. Oily have about 1,000 miles on the new injectors and tunes. Sorry for the derail a little but any ideas guys ? What do you think

#12 ·
My 1/4 mile says I'm near 430 rwhp and I'm running a local build. It has all the bells and whistles. Pulls and shifts great. I plan on taking it over 500 in the future...

#13 ·
I might decide to go the same route as you guys did because i only have stage twos now and only plan on 238/100 in the future so i should be safe with a rebuild, triple disc TC, shift kit, and valve body I hope.

#15 ·
I have a suncoast parts tranny built local...

The thing about BTS is its the last tranny you will ever buy... I have been hit time and time again to fix broken parts, this will not happen with a BTS.

#17 ·
I'm wanting to go with Redline Diesel Power in northern Ohio for my built tranny when i get one. They are well known in the local pulling world and have built some pretty stout Dodge trannies. Still around stock power now but i have some plans for the next year or two. I'm gonna see if i can cut out the labor for swapping trans and the pan to save some money.

This is what they quoted me sometime last year.

Stage 3 clutches, Built valvebody, Modified front pump, Upgraded planetaries, 3 disk billet converter and labor to remove and replace in truck, new solenoids, speed sensors and p/n switch. Also includes a Mag Hytek deep aluminum pan ( a 350.00 value).
Cost for the above $ 4,000.00

Options for the above trans

- billet input shaft $250.00
-billet forward drum $ 895.00
- billet output shaft $ 895.00

Depending on how my summer goes i wanna try to get one in before we start harvesting this fall.

#21 ·
I took a new HD Ford reman put a trans go tugger kit in it converter it came with and added a 6.0 cooler, I,m about 330 hp I would guess and its doing fine with about 75,000 on it now. Temps are a big factor, if you tow and run hot your gonna kill it in a hurry. Keep the temps down and the fluid clean it will hold up pretty good.

Dan

#22 ·
No one has ever said only BTS can build a trans..thats silly...what has been said thousands of times is its the last trans you will buy..that can't be said for 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the other builders..

Now can you get lucky at 400HP + + and use a stocker or a unknown builder sure..just like some play russian roulet..most are not lucky..thats also been posted by guys hundreds of times that were promised their trans could take it.

#25 ·
im rebuilding mine next week so will see how it goes i work at a ford dealer so im having our trans tech do it he's built some really solid 4r100 in the past so i trust him. i have also spent the last 4 months reading posts on every ford diesel forum on the web that have anything to do with rebuilding the 4r100. So after talking to alot of venders and doing alot of research i feel like my trans build should stand up to 400hp. heres want i came up with.

TCS triple disc billet convertor, JW valve body, factory ford clutch kit, sonnax OD snap ring #36744-01, sonnax boost valve #96948-01k size .427, sonnax line to lube pressure reg. valve #36424-04k, sonnax front lube/drainback valve #36425-01k, sonnax tcc control sleeve assembly #36424-08k, one piece rear case bushing, 45 element sprag, updated center support, dieselsite trans filter, 6.0 trans cooler

#26 ·
All transmissions can break. It's how you are treated after a failure. I've had my stock trans go out, local aftermarket trans go out, and my bts has failed me twice. The first time the bts went out, it was the sprag in the torque convertor (fixed no questions asked and nothing out of pocket). The second time it went out, it broke the intermediate shaft (fixed, no questions asked and nothing out of pocket but a tow to rocky's shop)

All these failures happened with stock and stage 1 injectors.

By far the best value is BTS. That is why you hear so much about them.

#29 ·
I broke 4 trans before going to the bts. The stock one, a ford HD, and 2 built locally by guys that "knew what they were doing" both built race trans and one builds dodge trans locally but both didn't hold up.

Not saying that a bts would have but when you buy a bts you are buying the years of experience. Specific 4r100 experience. Not just trans rebuilding experience. Also you are buying the customer service.

I know of one instance when a guy broke a bts drag racing on friday night. Pulled the trans and couldn't get the tc off cuz the input shaft was stuck in the tc. Called bts and talked to brian. Had a truck pull coming up that following weekend and brian shipped a new trans out and said put the old one in the box and send it back, I wanna see what broke.

Thats what you are paying for. And it has been proven over and over again.

#33 ·
I don't give to Craps about bts. This thread has nothing to do with them. This is for guys that don't want to ship a trans across the country. It's nice seeing the other options.

#34 ·
I guess the point some are trying to make is why dont people want to ship them across the country? Seems like thats just being lazy and putting yourself up for failure later on. There are good trans builders but unless you live locally to one your going to be shipping or your going to be sending it to the local guy that "knows what he is doing".

if you own a $10-20k truck and the transmission goes out, do it right the first time and call someone thats proven they know

#38 ·
How much does it cost to have a trans dropped and put back in along with cooler flush? 350-400
Fluids and filters.100
2 weeks downtime. Priceless

Once again this is not about bts. Start a new thread if you want to argue. I just want people to see other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.