Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DT360 or Ford 460 for Excursion engine swap

17K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  staffcurtis 
#1 ·
I know this is the diesel forum, but please choose based on my needs...

I am looking for an excursion to swap either a fuel injected 460 gas engine, or an International DT360 diesel engine. This will be a daily driver, but I want to keep the engine build under $10k. I would like to have 700-800hp for the wow factor. I know the DT360 would be lots of work, but it would be a unique, and interesting project. The 460 gas engine probably hasn't been done much, but I can get either engine pretty cheap.

Fire away!!

#6 ·
daily driver 460 ? lmao i went that way for the hell of it before my cummins and must i say it was a waste of time the fuel milage just was sh$t and towing power was por just a bad idea all around go with the dt.

#13 ·
My truck started life as a 460.. Daily driven 460 would not be my choice!!! could not agree more with the above statement.

#8 ·
Well I am picking up my excursion tomorrow which is a 2005 model 4x4 v10 gas with 155k miles for $10k. I am not sure if I should mod the engine in there, or still go the DT360 route. If I am at $5k for the bone stock swap, how much should I put into the motor? What is the best bang for the buck HP level to obtain?

Thanks

#14 ·
What are you going to use the truck for most of the time to need the 700hp are you racing it? There is a huge difference between a 700hp gas 460 and a 700hp diesel anything. Just for starters the diesel should be at 1200+ on torque and the 460 bored and stroked to 557 at 700hp or so will only be 700+. On a big heavy truck like the X the diesel is the way to go. But again do you really need 700 rwhp? My .02

#15 ·
Your going to need an aftermarket efi system or convert the 460 to MAF system to get 700 hp. The stock speed density system doesn't play well with modifications at all. So you would need a good chunk of cash to get a 460 fi to 700. Then you will also be getting terrible feul milage and it would be barely streetable only way would be big cubes or forced induction of some sort cause otherwise you will run into big cam low vaaccum high stall race gas etc. I would go with a dt or cummins but total cost for 700 is going to be more than 10k

#18 ·
Injectors, .093 lines, 215 or 180 p7100 (and adapter) made to deliver 550cc and the proper turbo set up. twins would be preferable for driveability. I would recommend 5x18 injectors (they will be smokey, but it is mechanically injected) and the rotating assembly be balanced.

#20 ·
It does not need to be balanced. Cory did not balance his, but I personally would like to see 5k RPM and it would be beneficial in my opinion to do so. And I would always rebuild one unless I knew it was a relatively recent rebuild. They stopped making these things in the early nineties, that is a long time for even the best seals to dry rot.
Right now I have about 8500 into my entire transplant including the cost of the motor. I think I can do the entire thing for less than 10 with a nice air to water intercooler and a performance radiator. But I do all the work myself. If you are interested, I can quote you the entire job doing it at my shop. I am a paying sponsor and I have references if you require.

#22 ·
I have a dt360 in my 95 f350 and it cost me about 40 bucks to put the engine itself in. I'm running an Allison 1000 from a duramax with an Allison 2000 bellhousing. Have less than 2k in that setup. I'm building the motor for over 800hp and will NOT exceed 5k in my build on the engine! Here's a link to my build thread...

1995 cclb restoration and build - PowerStrokeArmy

#26 ·
Well I still have the excursion, but have not done anything with it at all. I thought about selling it because its pretty nice, and buy a cheap one to play around with. I am still debating this project, so I need you guys to pump me up a little to get started. Is the DT360 still the best motor for my truck? How much worse is the DT466 to install? How about I go crazy with a Detroit Series 60?? I will also need an auto tranny to mate with my transfer case.

#27 ·
I personally think that you are way over thinking this. Good luck getting the dt466 to fit in there. That's a big motor. If you want to swap in a diesel i would hands down go with a
5.9CR or a Ppump and be done with it it will be the cheapest and easiest to get done since all the parts are readily available. You can also reach your power goal much easier than any of the other options.

#28 ·
I'll tell ya right now a dt will make more power cheaper and more reliably than a cummins. swapping it in however, not so much the case! but the 466 will not fit. the 360 will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.