Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Toyo vs. Nitto

6K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  belz 
#1 ·
Debating between Toyo M/T's and Nitto Mud Grappler's. Size will be 33x12.50-20's

I really like the Nitto's but will the Toyo's get "that" many more miles out of them?

I know the Nitto's will have a lot of road noise but I actually like that (I have 38x15.50 Boggers on my other Super Duty)

#2 ·
I've had trouble with 33-37s toyos getting decent mileage out of them I would go nittos. However my 40" toyos were amazing 18/32nds with 13k! Again in smaller sizes it seems nittos are better

#3 ·
Nitto's all the way, hands down.

#4 ·
Yep, the Nittos are cheaper and quieter as well. I'd go with 305/55/20's if I were you!

#7 ·
The 305/55 is about a 34x12.50. I'm running the 325/60R20 Terra grappler, 35.1x13.50. Very nice tire but heavy and not what I'm looking for. I'm dropping to the 305/50R20 Nitto 420s, street tire.

#8 ·
So you all think a trail grappler would wear competitively with toyo m/ts. I cant decide. I am running mud grapplers and i LOVE the looke but I have 10k and they might have another 5 left on them which I think is a bit ridiculous. Yes i get on my truck but i dont do burnouts or run constantly at WOT. Has anyone else seen such horrible mileage out of a set of grapplers? Most people say 30k at least out of them.

#11 ·
I had the trail grapplers before I put the terras on. They look great and would be very comparable to the toyo MT. They were just to loud for me (not that bad, I'm just getting old) and I actually picked up about 1.5 mpg when I switched.

#9 ·
the nitto MUD grapplers are not at all quiet. it's not a lower tone swamper loud, it's a high pitch whine type loud.i have no experience with the TRAIL grappler. check out the fierce attitude m/t. i've gotten good wear and low nois. comparable to the old bfg m/t. but i'm not sure if they have them in 20's

#10 ·
Toyo MT...

I have yet to have a set get less then 50k out of them... And I swap them out before they are bald.

The only reason I would ever run something else is cost.

#14 ·
I really like the Toyo's so far,they seem to be wearing really well for the weight I carry around. My vote goes Toyo M/T

#15 ·
The toyo mt and trail grappler are comparable. The Terra grappler is an at and the mud grappler is an aggressive mud tire not really comparable to the toyo mt. I had a set of kumho mt and was very happy with them. Got around 40k out of them. Now I put the trail grappler. About 100 cheaper a tire compared to the toyo. I'll see what I get out of em but I've herd good things about them.

Sent from my portable forum surfing device. :)

#17 ·
i am torn between the toyo nitto kuhmo mt's...I really would be happy with 35,000 miles out of the tire. I am more concerned with their ability in snow and well, when its raining on the pavement...
To be honest, I do very little mud or crawling. Dirt roads, yes, snow in Tahoe/reno area, yes...rain on freeway and back roads, yes...

Any opinions on those types of uses for the three?

#18 ·
I habe 35x12.5x20 nitto mud grapplers. I love them but they are very LOUD!!! They ride great very smooth. BUT i have about 15k on them i may get 20k out of they befor they are just flat bald, great tire just piss poor milage for what you pay for them

#20 ·
im on my 4th set of mud grapplers total, but my 3rd on this current truck and i see no reason to change. i get at least 30k out of every set but i have to rotate them often and keep the right amount of pressure in them. Best off road tire hands down, ive never popped one and ive never been stuck. In my opinion toyos blow for the price they want out of them, if its a pavement pounder i would say toyos but if you off road hands down the mud grapplers.

#21 ·
Mud Grapplers are very soft compound and is why they do so good offroad in mud and on the rocks stick like glue.. I would not compare them to the toyo mt's.. Trail grapplers i would.. My trail grapplers arent that loud.. Mud grapplers need to be rotated every 3k miles to get mileage out of them

#27 ·
The mud grapplers will ride like chit . Toyo m/t is a better tire all around .

#28 ·
Have to disagree.

#31 ·
I have yet too see a toyo mt not make it through what a grappler has gone through. I don't care though cause I'm now not dumb enough to take my Powerstroke through serious mud. Maybe a little ht here and there but its.not worth all the problems any more.

#34 ·
And the price is justified by the fact about how much longer they last.
You must have some nice dirt roads out there then, out here our dirt roads can swallow a truck whole. I dont drive these roads for fun i do it for work and i put stuff on my truck that gets me to work and back thats why me and my fellow co workers run grapplers. Like i said if your pavement pounding the toyos are probably the better bet, if you need them to perform off road the grapplers hands down.

#32 ·
And the price is justified by the fact about how much longer they last.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.