Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2008 6.4l loss of power, heavy black smoke with blue tint

49K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Scrappyy40 
#1 ·
I was driving along all was fine then the truck started hesitating on take off, hesitate then it would just take off.. finally it got to where i had to pull off the road, i couldnt go over 15 mpg.. then it died, after several tries it started, i was trying to get it running and heard a thwoosh sound, almost like blowing a plug out of a bottle and it started running again but with lots of smoke.. i have a air rushing sound coming out tailpipe and i can hear what sounds like a metal spinning sound, i also noticed my turbo guage shows nothing even when revving.. I really need this truck back on the road can you guys help me? Thanks

#3 ·
its all stock, it has 38,000 miles on the motor.. it happened late last night, so im just getting ready to go check the boots and stuff.. im thinking maybe its a turbo, or a leak.. i dont know much about the back pressure.. b ut i read about the egr having problems.. what has me was the sound it made like something blew out then it gained rpms, plus my turbo gauge reads nothing..

#5 ·
Well when your not moving you won't build boost. So that's nothing new. If it's pouring black smoke at idle you could have a stuck injector. Oil level low hey. Hmmmm. I'd start doing some checks. I'd also remove each boot and see if there is a blow out, been known to happen and ppl can't see the rip. Also if you have warranty take it in, why fix it yourself if you don't have too.

#6 ·
at idle of course not, i had it up to 70 and no turbo pressure on my guage, after topping off the oil it took a qt and half.. when idling it runs pretty clean, very little smoke, but if i fuel it at all it pours black thick.. i will take each boot off and check for a blow out.. i wish they would warranty it.. : ) but i have to do it myself. i can really hear a hissing air noise bad under the truck, sounds like coming from the exhaust filter area.. What about those re circulating pipes at the rear, could one of those braided couplers cause this and the air sucking noise ?

#7 ·
I think youre talking about the exhaust bellows. If those let go and with the amount of smoke youre seeing. The engine bay would be full of soot.

When you pull the intercooler boots. Before you reinstall them. Make sure that the nipple on the intercooler and the inside of the boot is spotless and there is no residual oil in them.

Pull the oil filler cap with the engine running and check for blow by.

#9 ·
ok i check the oil cap, there is a little puffs of smoke white almost clear, coming out even on acceleration.. i believe the pipes im talking about are the egr pipes on the back and top of motor, i cant tell if the braided couplers are leaking, just trying to figure what that god awfull grinding, hissing air noise is coming from.. its sounds like the dpf filter or maybe those lines.. this truck runs just like a dream and i cant see what the hell could happen at a split second to cause this?? I wouldnt think it could be too major, but what the heck.. Im thinking of trying to choke it down to the auto zone and see if they can diag it... i was hoping some of you guys would have heard or known something, i have a complete other truck that front end wreck, so if i just knew what it was i could exchgange it right now.. also the other truck has the dpf delete with straight pipe, can i put it on this one? is the chip removable or the program box?? Thanks

#10 ·
Dont drive it there. Just borrow their scan tool. With diagnostic codes we will be able to help out more. Its not the dpf or egr coolers. With a buggered dpf the truck will either run fine and puff some smoke or it wont run at all. If your egr coolers split the truck would either hydrolock, blow coolant out of the deg gas bottle or pour steam out of the tail pipe like a locomotive. The egr coolers are the box tubing that run down the drivers side of the block under the exhaust manifold and up to the front and on top of the engine. The only piping on the back of the engine are the up pipes for the turbo.

Is the check engine light on?

The delete pipe is interchangable. I have no idea about the programer. More info is needed.

#11 ·
Did you check for excessive oil in the boots or metel. Maybe take out the air filter and fill up in there for metel piecesif it shafted some pieces prolly blue out that way. But Sounds like a blown turbo. That would explain smoke no boost wierd sound and low oil.....

#12 ·
the check engine light came on when it first lost power then went off, no its not on now... what is the really loud hissing noise that sounds like metal spinning or air just rushing out the tail pipe from under neath towards the rear of the motor to the dpf ???

#14 ·
Other motor? Possibly just like the low pressure one went and so the exhaust sounds wierd or theres pieces stuck in the other one sounden wierd or somethin. I donno But I'm deffinetly goin with turbo(s) From what you described.

#16 · (Edited)
ok pulled the air filter out and no metal but thier is a little oil residue in the pipe, nothing much tho' .. i did track down the hissing noise.. and also determined what that thhwoosh was the tail pipe from the dpf to that little round filter canister came apart, which could have been that sound.. there is oil coming out from that rear canister, i pretty sure that was from the previous motor which was spitting oil pretty bad and spun a bearing.. yes i have another complete truck that was in a front end collision with only 30,000 miles on it, thats where i got the new motor to swap out.. could that back filter be clogged and cause this ??? or maybe being partially connected, i dont know if the system has a back pressure to run properly.. what if i take it off and the dpf and run the straight pipe off the other truck, will it work ?? Oh, ill have to check some more on the turbo situation, i couldnt tell from removing the pipe.. but i still dont have much power

#17 ·
last I knew blue smoke meant there is fuel not being burned, maybe you are losing or have lost an injector? I'm no expert but that explains the situation you described, any noises when or right before the problem first began?

#18 ·
yes sir, im definately getting fuel but i think not enough air, how can i check the injectors? Im kinda leaning towards the turbo, when it first happened i thought it was dumping fuel to the dpf for a cleaning, but then it just bogged down and i had to pull off, check my earlier post and it explains better

#19 ·
I say check the turbos for sure but normally when a turbo goes the smoke is much lighter, close to if not white, when it comes to exhaust I always suggest deleting anything that can hold it back, it might just solve the problem, I cannot tell you how to check injectors, but if it lost one there will definitely be a code, and blue smoke has always led to a fueling issue of one kind or another in my experience I can't tell you what though.

#22 ·
auto zone wont loan out the odb anymore, so im gonna have to try and drive it down there, man i was really hoping someone had this same problem, well not that they had it, but would say "oh yeah mine did this and this is what fixed it" but wish me luck on the drive.. and thanks to everyone for trying to help..

#24 ·
hey white monster, im not sure what you mean.. i was saying the other truck has a straight pipe without the dpf.. i was asking if they put a chip in them to delete it or a program of some kind and if so where would it be?? The truck idles very good with little smoke, its when i accelerate it smokes bad with blue/black smoke.. but not as much as it did when it first happen.. i dont have a odb reader

#25 ·
Well the other truck would have to have a tuner to have the DPF removed. Where it is in that truck I have no clue. You said you had no check engine light if I recall. If that's the case I would say you have a big exhaust leak before the turbos or a big boost leak. To find a boost leak build a plug to go where the air filter is and pump the system up to 45psi. That will show if you have a boost leak. Exhaust leak is a lot harder. Just look for a lot of soot in places it shouldn't be. Have fun.

#26 ·
Hey thanks white monster, what would the tuner look like ?? maybe i can find it.. OK i got the odb done it pulled up two faults.. one is p2263 the other is p006b or p00gb.. the auto zone didnt have a book to read the codes, lol something with the turbo/supercharger boost system performance and the manifold absolute pressure / exhaust pressure corelation.. called for a faulty icp sensor and possible egr system fault..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.