2008 6.4l loss of power, heavy black smoke with blue tint - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.4L Power Stroke - Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:06 PM
jaxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

2008 6.4l loss of power, heavy black smoke with blue tint

I was driving along all was fine then the truck started hesitating on take off, hesitate then it would just take off.. finally it got to where i had to pull off the road, i couldnt go over 15 mpg.. then it died, after several tries it started, i was trying to get it running and heard a thwoosh sound, almost like blowing a plug out of a bottle and it started running again but with lots of smoke.. i have a air rushing sound coming out tailpipe and i can hear what sounds like a metal spinning sound, i also noticed my turbo guage shows nothing even when revving.. I really need this truck back on the road can you guys help me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 04:41 PM
White_monster
Cab on installer
Member's Gallery

Re: 2008 6.4l loss of power, heavy black smoke with blue tint

What's done to the truck? That could help. Any codes?
Old 06-11-2011, 04:56 PM
jaxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

its all stock, it has 38,000 miles on the motor.. it happened late last night, so im just getting ready to go check the boots and stuff.. im thinking maybe its a turbo, or a leak.. i dont know much about the back pressure.. b ut i read about the egr having problems.. what has me was the sound it made like something blew out then it gained rpms, plus my turbo gauge reads nothing..
Old 06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
jaxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Ok, I did a little checking, all the boots are ok, only thing so far is the oil level is really low.. starts up great, idles eprfectly, but still blowing out black smoke and no turbo pressure on the guage
Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 PM
White_monster
Cab on installer
Member's Gallery

Well when your not moving you won't build boost. So that's nothing new. If it's pouring black smoke at idle you could have a stuck injector. Oil level low hey. Hmmmm. I'd start doing some checks. I'd also remove each boot and see if there is a blow out, been known to happen and ppl can't see the rip. Also if you have warranty take it in, why fix it yourself if you don't have too.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:14 PM
jaxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

at idle of course not, i had it up to 70 and no turbo pressure on my guage, after topping off the oil it took a qt and half.. when idling it runs pretty clean, very little smoke, but if i fuel it at all it pours black thick.. i will take each boot off and check for a blow out.. i wish they would warranty it.. : ) but i have to do it myself. i can really hear a hissing air noise bad under the truck, sounds like coming from the exhaust filter area.. What about those re circulating pipes at the rear, could one of those braided couplers cause this and the air sucking noise ?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 PM
forcefed6.4ford
WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Member's Gallery

I think youre talking about the exhaust bellows. If those let go and with the amount of smoke youre seeing. The engine bay would be full of soot.

When you pull the intercooler boots. Before you reinstall them. Make sure that the nipple on the intercooler and the inside of the boot is spotless and there is no residual oil in them.

Pull the oil filler cap with the engine running and check for blow by.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 PM
White_monster
Cab on installer
Member's Gallery

Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 AM
jaxral
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

ok i check the oil cap, there is a little puffs of smoke white almost clear, coming out even on acceleration.. i believe the pipes im talking about are the egr pipes on the back and top of motor, i cant tell if the braided couplers are leaking, just trying to figure what that god awfull grinding, hissing air noise is coming from.. its sounds like the dpf filter or maybe those lines.. this truck runs just like a dream and i cant see what the hell could happen at a split second to cause this?? I wouldnt think it could be too major, but what the heck.. Im thinking of trying to choke it down to the auto zone and see if they can diag it... i was hoping some of you guys would have heard or known something, i have a complete other truck that front end wreck, so if i just knew what it was i could exchgange it right now.. also the other truck has the dpf delete with straight pipe, can i put it on this one? is the chip removable or the program box?? Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 01:23 AM
forcefed6.4ford
WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Member's Gallery

Dont drive it there. Just borrow their scan tool. With diagnostic codes we will be able to help out more. Its not the dpf or egr coolers. With a buggered dpf the truck will either run fine and puff some smoke or it wont run at all. If your egr coolers split the truck would either hydrolock, blow coolant out of the deg gas bottle or pour steam out of the tail pipe like a locomotive. The egr coolers are the box tubing that run down the drivers side of the block under the exhaust manifold and up to the front and on top of the engine. The only piping on the back of the engine are the up pipes for the turbo.

Is the check engine light on?

The delete pipe is interchangable. I have no idea about the programer. More info is needed.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 230
!!!PainTrain!!!, 00 ford f250, 03sixspeed, 04fatboy, 07outlawpowerstroke, 08ford4me, 08murderedout, 08straightpiped, 1badpsd, 1craneguy, 4144bigo, 6.4pstroker, 73JER, 85yota350, 8luggin, 95gasser, 99 7.3, 99f-250, AHpilot, Alex M, AllenHood71, AngryLepercon, anth, Antman, ATP-Mike, autotoyz, AZ08, banderajaker, baskin6.4, bbarnett, Big Jim 54, BigBluediesel08, Bigdave, Bigdiezel, Biggsw784, bigmick, bigsqwez1982, billybobslm, bm1962, bodidskey, boots1219, brett209, btaylor08, bucky919, bufasion, Bustedknuckles, cadwell08, Cajunhunter67, CamTom12, cbenn, cbrown, ChaseN, chodifer, Chrisco, Christop73, Comnhot, crappy002, ctpsd, CutThroat, Da Oops, daves02, dbs0026, deerhuntr, DevjWilliams, Diesel-1, diesel71, DieselG, DieselKidd, Dirty Curry Racing, DOHC, dumping clouds, dweber2, EBBCLA, enemyofgore, Erle385, erskine_e, fireman28, flexyford, flinty72, forcefed6.4ford, fordboy11, fordpowerf450, Fr8train, gamblerhydra, GMAN1, greaseltn, griffin6997, GSchretter, Gubby, hammily, HD-tech-NH, Hoofnit1, iaknown, IGoneGreen, independentreb12, ISUsuperduty, itsdieselornothing, jacmurr, jawsfx4, jaxral, jimdawg185, jipi99, jmhelems, joec410, Johnny77Mutt, johnnyroastbeef, jonboy108, Jughead361, juiced250, kdsf350, Kedi, KR69IDI, leadkeel, LILGSX, LowDog63, Mackinaw, mamadiga, marcar74, matt1183, Mattdiz, me2, Meaty JTizzle, melijoleen06, MFD T-3, mikemcd88, mikey88, milesd830, moorea, mortal798, mours2, Mr. Perfect, MrMike06, Mudlight, murr3061, ncfishermann, never enuff, nickw226, nikkony, Nixon, Nuttin up, OBS F350, ONETURBOFORME, Pan4905, pizza pig, pog, Popsicle, Powers250, powersmokin64, powerstroke586, powerstrokeracing, powerstrokin104, powr2stroke, PSD-BLACK-CLOUD, Pyro2nite, radio flyer, Rambo, range91, rbro7752, rdunagan, Red1680, redhead02, Rick59, rileyrs, Rmartin-97, rollininmy64, rswhitcomb, ruarkkustomz, ryanf, Say_I_Won't, Schmidtty's F-450, scott2001, SD08, SDSTROKER6.4, seven.3psd, shakes, shane431, Shaun Lindmark, shmokenpstroke, shootingstar, sideshow, Silver2010, sixmassive, skobiak, Skpph, slang23488, snopro_69, SoTexSoele, steveo27o, straightaxle, stroked99_1/2, strokin20, super73, superbad, SUPERSTROKED, suprdzlduty, svt28640, Taccurso, talon932, TeamChampion12, THACKER44, TripleE44, tundra2000, TX08250, TXStroker97, tylan, Uask4it, ultimateland, Uncle Buck, underaltec, ununited11, Utah7.3, vanislejimmy, Varney, vindiesel2, WareDat, WBPIV, weekendwarriorfsw32, White_monster, whtdmax, Wizzard of Odds, wjamesm, WoodBoy, Worstenemy453, wynndaddy, zabeard, Zippys F350, Zooky, zx800x