Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Best fitting Down Pipe

20K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  DieselFreak92 
#1 ·
This is for those of you that have installed Different DPs. Which one fit better, which ones fit worse?

And i am concered about 5 speeds, not autos

#2 ·
Grand rock DP fits good w/a ZF. Just did one.

#5 ·
My DPP downpipe fit OK. It had the flange to bolt directly to the CAT. I still had to cut the "ear" off the ZF and had to put a slight indent in the DP where it was contacting the passenger uppipe. No firewall problems after using a port-a-power on it. My only problem with it was the band clamp at the two-piece joint. It was supposedly better than the "others", but I ended up going with a wider, stepped band clamp from NAPA (much better!). Cheers!

#11 ·
The stepped band clamps are the best from my experience.

#13 ·
The only thing I can remember from the MBRP is that the made in china crap is inferior to the Grand Rock pipe I put on my truck and I will only install a GR pipe now. Was a few years ago last time I did a MBRP.

Unfortunatley I don't get to sell many quality GR dp's since they are double the cost of the MBRP and DE.

If you really want a GR DP, shoot me a pm and be prepared to pay double what you see DE and MBRP go for.

#19 ·
my diamond eye fits nice with the 5 speed.

#20 ·
I'm a welder by trade so I just made one with some 3" exhaust pipe , only had to massage the fire wall a little .

#22 ·
I don't mean to be an a$$ and I really don't want to tick anyone off, but I have a serious question:
Do you guys with the MBRP or Diamond Eye care at all about buying Made In The USA Products and support American workers?
Or is it just not important to you and cheaper is better?

#26 ·
Well, I have to admit, I took a lot of info right from my GR salesman about what's made in the USA.

So I took some time to see what I can find out and it appears that MBRP is made in Canada. Some info suggests Diamond Eye is "made in the USA", but their pipe comes from China. I also read MBRP pipe comes from China, but now I can't find that info again. ??

So now I really don't know what to think.
I know that Grand Rock pipe material comes from a US plant, and the exhaust systems are made right down the road from me. A 100% USA company, so that works for me. :D

#31 ·
i dont know where their material comes from but i used to live about 30 miles from the diamond eye plant in Athena, WA. im not partial to any brand in paticular, but you say that the gr salesman told you the others were made in china.....a salesman is a paid liar, something to keep in mind. oh ya and my de pipe fit pretty well from what i remember.

#28 ·
i emailed GR and i recieved a reply stating they did not make a Dp for the 94-97 PSD's. What is the part number and buisness i can purchase one at since a few people have bought them here?

#30 ·
I have a modified (SD stock turbo flange welded on) banks 3" dp on my 97 and a 3" diamond-eye on my 95. Both fit well but the banks looks alot better for what its worth. The do the same job though.

#34 ·
if ya'll think stickin' a 3" DP in an OBS is tough, try doin' a 4" dp......

complete PITA ...

#36 ·
well, I have not had mine on a dyno, either before or after so I have no solid figures to show....
however, I can see and feel some differences. I had a 3" DP and all the mods in my sig before the 4" DP, it was the last mod done, and I had about 8,000 miles on the rest of the mods, towing (20,000 lbs GVW combined) so I did have a real good idea of what the 3" did.
the biggest difference is that the egt's cool down much quicker when you take your foot outta it, and it cools better at all rpm's, about 100 degrees. and yes, it pulls better, especially down low in the rpm range, it comes "on the pipe" earlier, and I can now run more manifold pressure in overdrive pulling the smaller humps on the hiway at 60 mph than I could before as it just got too hot before. it's helped that area considerably. I used to limit the boost to 8 lbs manifold pressure, because it got to 1200 degrees there, now, I can run 12 lbs boost at the same rpm and it still only gets to 1200 degrees, so it's made a solid difference there.

the rig feels more responsive, and doesn't heat as much, or as quickly, so I'ma happy camper.

and for those of you who may contemplate doing this, we had a complete shop to do this in, and it was still a complete PITA. cutting the floorboards out was the easiest part..... the hard part was building a cover for the hole, and figuring out how to heat insulate it .....

#37 ·
You should do a write up and post pics of the 4" dp install, I for one would like to see and know what it takes to do this!! :bowfast:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.