Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How in the hell.........

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  1970something 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I would predict that what Rice University really wants is mostly the make happy security force not real police officers who deal with serious crime and criminals. I also see by reading the article that he learned about this from a scanner not his dept radio system. That kind of tells me the same story as well. OMG what if our officer would have shot some one. What if........

#6 ·
That's the sort of thing that happens when micro-managing bureaucrats run your police dept instead of professional police officers.

What's gonna happen when some sicko goes nuts on campus with a gun, shoots a university cop and he radios "officer down"? Some other cop, somewhere, is going to be at least thinking "why should I respond and help?" He'll respond because he is a professional. But he'll be thinking it at least for a moment.

The manner of the response of the police groups/unions is clearly saying the universities decision is B.S.

The same thing happened in Vietnam where politicians like LBJ so micro managed the war instead of leaving it up to the professional soldiers, it ended up a disaster.

Let the professional cops run the show and make the decisions as they see fit.

#15 ·
I think I wrote that because of how frustrating the court of public opinion is when it comes to the media. It is so easy for them to present limited information that makes one conclusion the only correct one on the surface. I looked online and see that it is 2.7miles from Rice to the bus depot. That is kind of right on the line to where I see him going or not going given his role. Just adding in that one single fact in all reality is important. Next I might want to know how many other Houston Police cars were going at the same time.

If this was a deal where he was say a half mile away I say you roll and be damned with who is pissed later.

#16 ·
I think I wrote that because of how frustrating the court of public opinion is when it comes to the media. It is so easy for them to present limited information that makes one conclusion the only correct one on the surface. I looked online and see that it is 2.7miles from Rice to the bus depot. That is kind of right on the line to where I see him going or not going given his role. Just adding in that one single fact in all reality is important. Next I might want to know how many other Houston Police cars were going at the same time.

If this was a deal where he was say a half mile away I say you roll and be damned with who is pissed later.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure which angle you were taking on that.

Makes sense.

#17 ·
I'm just wondering if the person that wrote the article used the wrong word and officer that worked for the university actually heard the call come over the radio system? I know that a couple of the schools by me share public saftey channels with the local departments. I honestly feel that it was wrong to fire him for that given what was going on, he should have been suspended with pay pending some form of investigation.

#20 ·
How can you really say that based off of that article? Do you know the guy's history? Either do I. All I know is that the charge of dereliction of duty is a pretty serious offense. Just because it's one of those feel-good stories does not mean the guy should be cleared of a pretty serious offense does it?

from what i read in the article, the campus cop was the first on the scene, so in my opinion, he did the rite thing going.
but he should have let his dispatch know he was there after the Houston cops showed up.
You just contradicted yourself. He had great intentions but went about it the 100% wrong way. From the article, there is clearly a "rite" way of going about things and he chose to do the opposite. Seems like the punishment fits to me.

Take your emotion out of it and look at it from the other side of the coin.

#18 ·
My guess would be scanner. I would bet the campus police is not dispatched by the Houston police department. I agree with you that firing seems pretty extreme from my interpretation of the incident.

#23 ·
The local perspective is not that he violated policy -it looks like they all agree that happened. It is the punishment of termination that was handed down. Local LEO's and the Rice officer felt that that is an infraction that should have received counseling and not termination. The local LEO's have set up a fund to help the guy make ends meet until he finds another job.

The rift is that he did not notify his dispatch where he was for over an hour - hence the MIA dereliction of duty charge. They state they had no problem with him responding since all campus (Rice, UofH, ..etc) police and city/constable/sheriff co-respond to calls all the time, but they had an issue with his absense from duty.

Sad situation all the way around.

Shawn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.