Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How to bullet proof the drivetrain

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  LovinPSDs 
#1 ·
So lets say you have the motor and tranny figured out.. What else goes when you're pulling, racing, ect and what can be don't to beef it up? I'm thinking about building a toy/play truck.

I thought I saw somewhere welding axle tubes?

I've seen some people swap the rear axle (rear is a sterling 10.50" right?) Is it that weak?

What other tricks/mods do people have?

#2 ·
Better U-joints and driveshafts to start off.

#3 ·
I would say welding the axle tubes is a must with traction bars. Other than that the drivetrain is pretty stout in stock form IMO.

#4 ·
correct me if I'm wrong but it's a 60 (is it a HP60?) up front and a 10.50 out back right? I don't know much about axles.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for lockers on Pirate

#5 ·
Depends what year and model your truck is. My '02 has a Dana 60 up front and a Sterling 10.5 rear as a reference. Through the years they had Dana 50's up front on some and Sterling 10.25 in the rear. I don't know the specifics on the years though.

#9 ·
Thanks 91turbo...

Side note: I see you have a single cab.... I'm considering a single cab long bed or ex. cab shorty. The bed won't be used for much as I have a CCLB also but thinking for a fun/toy truck having the extra room behind the seat (rear set stripped out) would be nice. The WB is only 4" longer I think. Any feedback?

#10 ·
Sometimes I dislike having a regular cab because I could use a hair more room. I have the captains chairs instead of a bench so it feels like I have a hair more room but only being able to have one passenger isn't fun.

But I can't get over the fact that regular cab long beds look the best. :)

And for the wheelbase difference I am not sure about.

#11 ·
I do agree with the looks.. My truck is going to be an offroader/mud fun so I like the idea of being able to keep some things inside... We'll see what kinda deals I can come across

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.