Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

38R experts- IS this a 1.15 or a 1.15?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Dieselfever 
#1 ·
I just got done reading all 20+ pages of the 38R 1.15 housing thread and there was a lot of good info there among the usual trash talk. And it got me to thinking- I have had a 38R for about 5 years or so and have ALWAYS had horrible low end throttle response with it, even at Sea Level. In Denver, taking off from a stop was just painful. BUTT, once it got going it would make nearly 50psi boost and flat haul. I have tried about 1001 things to figure out(including whole new motor) the lack or response and just chalked it up to that's the way it is.

Now I am wondering if I unknowingly have a Van 1.15 housing that has been the root of my evil for a number of years. The other odd thing is that there are only 3 bolts on the flange adapter :confused: Anyone got a clue from this picture??

See less See more
#3 ·
The 1.0 is wategated, I do not see a wastate on that housing. Assume it is a 1.15, It should say on those number casted in the side.

#4 ·
I guess I should specify a little better. That was not a typo about the 1.15 or 1.15. There are 2 types of 1.15 38 housings- One for the OEM E series van turbo that has a slightly larger turbine wheel, and then another one for the Ball Bearing GTP38R aftermarket turbo.

The OEM E-Series Van Turbo 1.15 A/R exhaust housing will physically bolt to the GTP38R aftermarket turbo, but because the Van's turbine wheel is about 1mm larger, this will cause a small gap between the Turbine wheel and the housing when bolted to a Ball Bearing 38R with the slightly "smaller" turbine wheel and can cause poor low rpm/load spooling.

I know the obvious answer is to go look at it and figure it out. Problem is I am in Africa, and have been for about 9 months on a Navy Deployment. Only 3 months to go!!:bowfast: Just want to get this Sh1t fingered out so I can order what I need, and tear it up when I get home!!

#5 ·
Cant really tell from that picture...

The outlets are the same bolt pattern however so that is no indication.

#9 ·
I will see what I can do on that. Not sure if my wife can get that done for me or not. May have to call in some gearhead friends from out of town. Or hell maybe even my old man now that I think about it. Give him an excuse to get out of his house.

#7 ·
Nice looking engine btw!!

#11 ·
Sounds like its time to ditch the drop in and get yourself a midframe...

#12 ·
Yeah, Don't push me! I'm On the edge yo!

I have been talking to Jake at Irate and really want a 4294R T4, but have several issues I am trying to balance, not the least of which is money. I had finally convinced myself I could live with only 500hp or so and just fixing my 38R for about 1200 given that I already had the 1.15 housing, EBPV delete pedestal, and bellowed up-pipes all ceramic coated. But now if I don't have the right 1.15 and need to spend another 3-400 on that?

Anyone got a Geo metro for sale? Got to be a convertible though!

#13 ·
Look at ***'s GQQSB... Perfect turbo for the 500hp range... A HELL of a lot cheaper then a 4294...

#16 ·
Damnit. I hate you all!!

#15 ·
If I already had a T4 mounting system that would be great. But if I spent 3g's on a turbo for my truck right now I may as well just stay here in Africa and not come home. That is part of what makes the S366 and mounting package from Jake at Irate so attractive- only 2,000 but I get a T4 mount out of it. However the S366 won't sell like the 38R will when I am ready to get a real turbo or two.

How do you like your H2E? what mounting does that use?

#18 ·
Laugh it up fuzzball. I am starting Pre-Engineering at OSU winter of 12. I will be in Corvallis and one day you will find a turbo missing from your truck. :evil

#19 ·
I love the H2e, its a modded H2e but does great at sea level to about 3000', after that it starts to slow down.

I am at 7500' here in Santa Fe, New Mexico and its a bit tough to get moving. Once underway its fine.

#22 ·
And that is the pinnacle of my problem. Right now I want ultimate Drive-ability. Whether at Sea Level, or 10,000 ft. I do make trips to Wyoming and Denver so performance at altitude, while towing is an issue.

Don't suppose there is a turbo setup that can make 600hp, same response as an OEM, make little to no smoke, and cost 2,000 or less?:poke:

#23 ·
Well it looks like I may have figured out my answer. With the help of PSN, and my old lady. After scouring over my turbo for any numbers she found 7002135 stamped into the side of it. After reading THIS Thread that tells me it must be a 700213-0005 which is the part number for the GTP38R specific 1.15.

Although I am still kind of clueless here- All the other 1.15 I have seen have 4 bolts on the outlet and large GARRET lettering. Mine has 3 bolts and no garret lettering:confused:

#24 ·
That engine paint job and finely polished accessories is total Déjà vu of the FreddyFast/BWD build from TDS back in the day!

Minus the "Donkey Pump" LOL

-Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.