Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Jacking truck up from rear pumpkin

18K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  eleventhtruck 
#1 ·
Can i lift the rear of the truck by the pumpkin and put my jackstands under the axle tubes? My jack won't reach the frame.

#3 ·
i dont know if its right but thats the way ive always done it.
Now i never had a load in the truck when doing this, it was for brakes, flats, etc.

#5 ·
No issues using the pumpkin, its the correct way to do it.

Why the heck would you use the frame? You would have to go up about 2 feet after you made contact and completely unload the suspension...

#8 ·
And thats fine if you just need one side up, but if you need both sides there is no reason not to do the pumpkin...

#12 ·
Didn't ask for your approval. It happens all over the country several times a day. I was only pointing out tire shops don't lift one wheel at a time and they surely don't use the frame

#22 ·
Not saying its the safest but it happens a lot. Three is preferred.

#24 ·
Have you ever tried? I worked at a tire shop tbrough college. That's almost a dozen years ago. You don't have to believe me even though Andy said he has seen it also. It happens, it's a fact. Next time I get my tiny jack back I'll get all four off the ground for you.:pointlaugh:

The shop I worked at did between 900-1200 tires a month. That doesn't include flat repairs, used tires, mount and bal or rotate and bal. Almost all of the tire work was done by floor jacks.

#28 ·
Thats why the front goes up last and down first. It's not something you want to leave all day. For the jack stand crowd, they aren't a guarantee of safety either. I've seen more fall off of jack stands than jacks. People get too comfortable when it's on stands.

#35 ·
It was an example to show that it is perfectly acceptable to use the differential, sorry you two got lost in translation. I never said it was the best thing to do, but sometimes you do things in a pinch you wouldn't always do. I even stated three was preferred.

#39 ·
Ed for moderator I say. :bowfast:

#38 ·
Local tire shop would always use 3 on trucks. Never seen em do 2 before & can't say that I'd want to. But they would run 3 jacks all day long without issue.

When they did my buddy's dually-

As far as what I do, I jack off the pumpkin & then put heavy duty jack stands under the axle tubes. Sometimes use blocks of wood like Tanks does depending on what I'm doing.

#40 ·
Local tire shop would always use 3 on trucks. Never seen em do 2 before & can't say that I'd want to. But they would run 3 jacks all day long without issue.

When they did my buddy's dually-

As far as what I do, I jack off the pumpkin & then put heavy duty jack stands under the axle tubes. Sometimes use blocks of wood like Tanks does depending on what I'm doing.
How do you jack off a pumpkin ??:confused: :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::poke:
Sorry just could'nt help it....:doh:

#52 ·
I don't believe any manufacturer recommends lifting by the differential. I have done it, and so has everyone else, but just so you know, the differential housing will deform when you lift using it, although it will " most likely " spring back to normal shape when you set it down. As these machines become more and more expensive, I have begun paying more attention to the little details that can lead to more precise and longer lasting components.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.