Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

frying altenators?

727 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LittleRedStroker 
#1 ·
What could keep burning up altenators? My original went bad so I bought a "guaranteed" good used one. Put it on nothing had it tested it was now bad.
Bought a brand new one from Advance and put it on last night. Today tested while running and now its only putting out 11.76-11.82v and only 30A. What could cause it to go bad again. All fuses are good, batteries are good, all wires are tight. Also while running the charge light is on but if I shut it down and start up again occasionally the light is out and it kinda sounds like I have an air leak or something and the volts are at about 10. After a few minutes the sound goes away and the light comes back on and the volts jump up to around 12. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
it could just be a bad alt. i went to auto zone cause i was in college and didnt have much $ bought a alt. when mine went out it worked for 3 days before it stopped charging, went back and exchanged for another that charged but was not putting out more than 10V. i returned it went to napa spent the extra$ and got an alt. not a prob since..

#5 ·
How do you adjust the tension?

Sam

#6 ·
The tensioner should properly tension it

#7 ·
Yeah I went back to advance and had it tested it was bad. They tried giving me the last good one on the shelf so I told them to test it. Low and behold fails for D.C. volts too. Got my money back went to O'reillys and am extremely happy with them. It tested good put it on and still had a problem but it was my fault. I figured it out with the test light. I messed up when I replaced my cables. I accidently put the fusible link and wire that runs to the gpr from the starter relay on the wrong post on the starter relay. Now its running like a champ. Thanks for all the input/advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.