Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anyone running 255/85 16?

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  joebob3093 
#1 ·
Getting a set of stock wheels and am looking for new tires and thinking about trying out a 255/85 16.

The truck isn't off roaded per 'se but if I need it off road I take it. The biggest thing is I want to make sure I can go if and when we get ice in the winter.

The BFG A/Ts worked very well this last winter when we got some pretty good ice, I went where I wanted when I wanted while many other vehicles were in the ditch.

I see Toyo's M55 which is quite expensive but looks like it would be a good tire. How would it be on ice?

What ever I get it MUST be E rated.

#2 ·
My last set were 255s. I loved them in the winter. Tall skinnys r the best in winter conditions.

#3 ·
What kind of 255s?

How were they on ice?

#4 ·
What kinda ice conditions we talkin? Icy roads or going across a glare ice froze over lake? They were wild spirit txr I believe.

#5 ·
When we get ice down here it is a sheet. We don't get much snow. This past winter they had to shut down I-75 because of a sheet of ice over a 1/2 mile long.

#6 ·
My dad is running 255s right now in a toyo MT. Toyo also makes the 255 in the M55 which is a good tire as well.

#7 ·
I guess they r as good as u could get on a sheet of ice without studs.

#8 ·
Does wild country still make the TXR?

#9 ·
yes, but mine where wild spirit txr, both very close to each other... they are fawkin awesome in the winter time and make a decent pulling tire too... but i don't know if they make a E rated one in that tire.... i had Ds and they lasted 40,000 on my dually, no towing..... they bite hard in all conditions.... only reason i didn't go with that tire size again is that i travel the country for work and a 255/85 is never on the shelf, they all have to special order that size... everyone stocks a 285/75 so thats the size i went with this time....

#10 ·
i have seen the wild spirits. i guess it was the company i was working for stoped selling the TXR. they were a pretty popular tire around here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.